cases with really good airflow?

Caporegime
Currently looking at either the coolermaster stacker 832 or the antec 900 gaming case. Im running a quad 6600 @ 3.2 and loading its hitting 77c. My case is a lian li 1000+ and basically the problem lies in the fact i can't optomially mount my thermalright 120 extreme with the fan pushin air out the back, currently the fan pushes air down through it onto the bottom of the case.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1961/img2203kf2.jpg (not my case but same case and cooler showing the problem)

Been looking at a new case and im considering the antec as it seemes to have a ton of airflow and space for another 120mm fan on the door. Plus its virtually half the price of the stacker. Anyone any opinions on airflow for the antec?

Associate
Well i have the Antec 900 and i can vouch for its excellent cooling as it was desinged with over clockers in mind.

However i don't think you will see a huge difference at that clock as they run very HOT! over 3ghz, maybe see 6-8 deg drop, 10 if you're lucky.

Do you need 3.2ghz whats your temps at 3.0ghz?
Whats your v-core?
What cooler do you have?

Take the side off your case and check the temps, this will be similar to the Antec temps.

Ive had my 900 for nearly 2 months and im dust free running at 34/34 (idle), 58/59 (load) with TAT.

Note the case is on my desk :)

Caporegime
OP
I'll have to get back to you on some of the temps questions. vcore is 1.5, cooler is a thermalright ultra 120 extreme. If i could see even 8c loss it would probably be worth it seeing as that would take the cpu to around 70c load which wouldn't be bad. :)

Caporegime
OP
Even with the side off at 3ghz tbh theres not a helluva lot of diference.

Fluctuating from 73 to 78 up and down. Asus pc probe for whatever reason sees the cpu at 62c (i wish)

cores.jpg

quad prime small ftt stress test

vcore in bios is at 1.425 if i remember rightly.

Caporegime
OP
When i took it off a while back the bottom of the heatsink had more or less a perfect square of as5 on it indicating it was making good contact.

Even considering a basic watecooling system at this point, had a hydrocool a while back and that kept my prescot @ 4ghz pretty cool. Been reading that some people hve had quads up around 3.6 with a regular corsair nautilus watercooler and around 4ghz with a modified nautilus.

Caporegime
OP
Ended up taking the thermalright out and having a look across the base, was thermal on it, a perfect square. Then i had a look at the base itself and its pretty warped, 1 side is a lot higher than the other, almost reminds me of an "s" on its side to some extent. At the minute ive got an artic freezer installed and at load on quad prime im getting the following temps @ 3.2 ghz.

cores-2.jpg

Soldato
I'd lap the extreme and use the 'washer/coin' mod to increase contact pressure on the quad.

As standard my extreme can be twisted very easily even when bolted down fully.

gt

Caporegime
OP
Makes me sick thinking a £45 heatsink doesn't even have a nearly flat base. :mad:

If anything id love to send this back to thermalright and tell them where to shove it. Never lapped anything before, have to go and buy more stuff now to get this poorly made piece of crap level at the bottom. :mad:

C64

C64

Soldato
Put the arctic silver in the very center of the cpu about 2 grain of rice bet it evens out the concave but don't spread it let it spread as you lower the plate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom