Cash is only used by the poor or elderly

Associate
People who pay with their phones annoy me, does it ever go through first time?

Quite happy to carry around the biggest phone they can buy, but that tiny bank card is just too much of an effort to take as well!

Caporegime
I resisted the urge to euthanize some stupid old git in morrisons last week.
Lunch time so loads of workers are in grabbing lunch, big queues at self service which normally go down pretty quickly. Old guy takes a trolley through the basket only self-service checkout. Stands at the front of the queue whilst there are 3 spare tills before the guy behind him points it out and he finally moves.
He then goes to what is clearly labelled as a 'no cash' till. He clicks the audible and visual message that again states no cash.
Proceeds to scan all of the contents of his trolley with a few 'unexpected items errors because he just can't get it right.
He then gets to the end. I'm at the front of the queue now. He tries to pay in cash. The machine just keeps spitting it back out. He flags down the assistant who points out its a no cash machine. He starts kicking off. Assistant points to the massive sign on top of the till and that it tells him as he starts scanning. Apparently he didn't see it...
Packs all his crap back in to his trolley. Takes another self-service that does take cash, blocking the entire self service area with his trolley in the process.

Soldato

Quite happy to carry around the biggest phone they can buy, but that tiny bank card is just too much of an effort to take as well!
There’s a £45 limit on most contactless cards but there’s no limit when using Apple Pay.

Easier to use my phone for all payments.

Soldato
Lunch time so loads of workers are in grabbing lunch, big queues at self service which normally go down pretty quickly. Old guy takes a trolley through the basket only self-service checkout. Stands at the front of the queue whilst there are 3 spare tills before the guy behind him points it out and he finally moves.
He then goes to what is clearly labelled as a 'no cash' till. He clicks the audible and visual message that again states no cash.
Proceeds to scan all of the contents of his trolley with a few 'unexpected items errors because he just can't get it right.
He then gets to the end. I'm at the front of the queue now. He tries to pay in cash. The machine just keeps spitting it back out. He flags down the assistant who points out its a no cash machine. He starts kicking off. Assistant points to the massive sign on top of the till and that it tells him as he starts scanning. Apparently he didn't see it...
Packs all his crap back in to his trolley. Takes another self-service that does take cash, blocking the entire self service area with his trolley in the process.
Life goals, this will be me one day, and absolutely no ***** will be given. :D

Soldato

Apple Pay always did for me. I used the Waitrose scanner app as well for the Fastest Shopping Experience Ever. Unless I purchased alcohol and then the miserable old trout supervising the tills would have to waddle over to wave her wand at the self checkout.

Soldato
When we have a problem with a self scan with unable to take cash, we close it. To prevent idiots you witnessed trying to pay cash on a card only machine.
The other three stores of my employer which I visit have card only self scans. Hoping that we don't get these as spending half our time voiding the transactions.

Customers never read signs.

Soldato
It does concern me that money really is becoming nothing but computer bits and bytes stored on an electronic database.

This really. Cash is effectively anonymous and largely untraceable. If you pay with card your shopping habits and who you do business with is visible to a whole swathe of private companies. Cash is effectively the bitcoin of fiat currency!

Also we've seen talk of governments issuing digital currency with the explicit intention of being able to track who's spending it and restricting what it can be spent on. Ie forcing dole money to only be spent on food/heating at certain allowed places. I can imagine that many people will feel that's not a power governments should have.

Soldato
Another thing - why do some customers wait til they scan their shopping, then go onto banking app to transfer money from one account to another then pay? Every phone has a calculator, use that. Place a crate of beer - £12. Bag of spud £1. Or use scan n go handsets or smartshop app. Transfer the money first before trying to pay.

Soldato
This really. Cash is effectively anonymous and largely untraceable. If you pay with card your shopping habits and who you do business with is visible to a whole swathe of private companies. Cash is effectively the bitcoin of fiat currency!

Also we've seen talk of governments issuing digital currency with the explicit intention of being able to track who's spending it and restricting what it can be spent on. Ie forcing dole money from be spent on only food/heating at certain allowed places. I can imagine that many people will feel that's not a power governments should have.

Governments don't like things being anonymous.

People fight for more freedoms, but governments fight to put controls on everything.

Soldato
I used to work for a bank in their collections department on their credit cards. Funny how if these customers did their current account banking with the same bank, took all their spare money out from an ATM then claim to be skint? Yes you are hiding the fact you rather spend money on stuff then paying your credit card bill.

Soldato
Every day, we become less and less free.

In this country anyway.

It's the same everywhere, it's just that in some places people simply don't conform. In the UK most do :p

Go to places in France and people blatently just ignore rules and they do it on mass, so the local governments are powerless to do anything about it lol

Back
Top Bottom