Casual gaming 'spec me' multiple budgets

Soldato
Hi! It's been far too long since i frequented here, but circumstances have allowed me some spare cash to upgrade my rather ancient rig!

First of, i'm only a fairly casual gamer these days - revisiting some of my favourites (bioshcock, the witcher and loads of RTS) but would like to start playing the sequels (i'm fairly certain the witcher 3 will be the most demanding thing i'm after, and i'm not fussed about max settings - but smooth playability would be nice! Otherwise, i'll only really be playing games like diablo 3, Starcraft 2 (and pretty much any other RTS - Total annihilation, red alert series, supreme commander etc) - i don't intend to overclock, unless it's really worth my while - i haven't overclocked since the original i7's came out :D

My current setup is:

• e8600 core 2 duo
  • 4gig ddr2 ram (on a 32 bit os!)
  • 660ti
  • silverstone 1kw psu
  • 1tb hdd (mechanical - no errors)
  • generic optical drive.

I'm assuming the hdd, psu and optical drive are all re-usable without issue, please advise me otherwise! So:

3 budgets:

£300
  • Assume no graphics card here - i appreciate the 660ti will be the bottleneck if i keep it, but should handle most things (pushing it for witcher 3 i assume though) and is easily upgraded later.
  • Assume no os required.
  • Must include a SSD - doesn't have to be massive, but large enough for os and a few games (120gb?)

£600
  • must include gfx card.
  • must include os.

£800
  • Go nuts :D
Feel free to throw questions at me, hi again to anyone that remembers me, and many thanks in advance!

Soldato
Unfortunately the new generation of CPUs will require windows 10 - you will need to factor in another cost and amount dependent on how you purchase (can't say more on this forum rules).

And although you have a mighty wattage PSU - and doubt it's been pushed - it's perhaps another component to consider.

We may be looking at 800... :)

Monitor 1080p?

Soldato
EDIT:I actually recognise your name - the spelling of it - welcome back :)

*Note the below builds could be revised again by substituting the GTX 1060 for GTX 1050Ti (as you're not fussed about maxed settings) - saving another £100. It would still game well but settings would need to be adapted for the bigger game releases. So the last build could be as little as £670...

Over your budget somewhat but can be adapted (see below this build for edited version). You can remove what you think you don't need - i.e. case, HDD...

I added a 250Gb for extra an extar £25 you get another 130Gb - but be aware the 120Gb is only £55.

The Ryzen 1600 comes suppled witha quality Wraith cooler and will allow you clock the CPU comfortably to 3.7GHz - and would bring it line with the more expensive 1600X at £228 for performance. But you could save £15 and get the 1500X but i would really try and stretch to the 1600 if you can.

The GTX 1060 will plough through any games at 1080p at high/ultra - * tip Witcher 3 turn off hair works.

As mentioned whatever you remove - you would still need to add an OS to the price.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
OP
Thanks Plec, appreciated!

I have a case (lian li v2000 - best case ever made <3) So can save there.

Bearing in mind the witcher 3 will be the absolute limit of this system, and due to time constraints, i probably wont even get round to playing it until next year :D - With that in mind, will i need 16gig ram (save to drop to 8?) pentium dual/i3 out of the question?

Assuming i have a windows 10, and assuming i stick to the 660ti for a while and i take the risk on the psu, would something like the following be viable?

Total: £334.41
(includes shipping: £10.50)

EDIT:
Monitor 1080p?

Yup, An old AOC 24" :)

Soldato
*Finished editing...

I have a case (lian li v2000 - best case ever made <3)

Classic case i had a midi version - with optical drive covers... :)

I would urge you to consider one of the 2 compromises below if budget permits (editing post as i go) - if not i will adapt the above for G4560 for the i3 cheaper and just as good.

Total: £426.42

With Ryzen 1200 - clocks to within 1300 - great value CPU.

Total: £351.42

The G4560 CPU - see reviews comparing to i3 - it's INTELS guilty little secret - so much so you may have to shop around to get it:

Total: £294.45

Last edited:
Soldato
Additional: A 660Ti playing Witcher 3 with a 2500K - impressive considering age of card - Clicky.

Also the Ryzen option would give you far better longevity - AMD AM4 ~4 years giving you plenty of room for future upgrades if you ever needed/wanted to.

Soldato
OP
I wasn't aware AMD had closed the gap over the years, so hadn't even thought about them :D

Pretty sure you've converted me to a Ryzen now - if i don't plan to overclock at all, i assume i can go for a bottom of the range motherboard, just so long as it's compatible - worth an extra £20 for the ryzen 3 1300 over the 1200?

Cheers!

Soldato
I wasn't aware AMD had closed the gap over the years, so hadn't even thought about them :D!
They have really come back in a big way - caught everyone by surprise - even INTEL who are cobbling together cores before their earlier than anticipated release of Coffee Lake.

Pretty sure you've converted me to a Ryzen now - if i don't plan to overclock at all, i assume i can go for a bottom of the range motherboard, just so long as it's compatible - worth an extra £20 for the ryzen 3 1300 over the 1200?

If budget permits I woukd get the B350 board rather than the A320 if that's what you're thinking - better quality, cooling and all Ryzen CPUs are unlocked so you can do a minor voltage and multiplier (CPU Core Ratio) tweak and you've got a moderately clocked Ryzen. It's that easy - you sometimes don't even have to adjust the voltage... :)

**EDIT:

worth an extra £20 for the ryzen 3 1300 over the 1200?

And not if you clock the 1200 as reviews show similar clocks results - making the 1200 even more of a bargain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Read the this review about the 1200/1300X - Clicky. Great little performer - superb bang for buck in your price range - especially when clocked.

Soldato
OP
So you could argue that if i spend £20 more on the board i get the 1300x speeds from a 1200, or spend £20 more on the cpu and not need a board to clock :D

I could have course just spend £20 extra on each and get a better clock from the 1300x....

The more i read up on the ryzen chips, the more impressed i am, well played AMD! *reminisces back to the barton core days*

Soldato
I could have course just spend £20 extra on each and get a better clock from the 1300x...
If surplus cash is a novelty at a moment i would get the b350 coupled with the 1200 as it seems to be a great clocker, comparatively, to the 1300X. From reviews it appears to clock within 1300X clocks - which makes it great bang for buck.

So if you want to save money on one component i would get the B350 and the 1200 and clock it to 3.7GHz (should be a simple clock with the Wraith) and then you will have the opportunity to upgrade the CPU if you want/need to in the future. There should be a glut of Ryzen 1600's in a couple of years time as some members will begin to get the upgrade itch... It would be great upgrade for you at the right price...

Soldato
OP
So, going for:

Total: £246.97
(includes shipping: £0.00)

I've read that the faster the ram, the better (3200 sweet spot)

With that in mind, what would you recommend? I could save some money by going slower, but as i've decided on an overclock, don't want to jeopardise the clock by getting poor memory?

I bow to your expertise!

Soldato
>overclocking interest and memory<
As you mention overclocking is of definite interest the Asrock isn't the best choice as it has poor VRM cooling. The Gigabyte Gaming 3 has great cooling, decent BIOS support/memory compatibility and IMO worth the extra cash if you can afford it.

As mentioned in a previous post - in a couple of years time Ryzen 1600s will start appearing second hand and would compliment this board perfectly. And the cooling on the VRMs should add to the stability and lifespan of the board if you're overclocking.

Yes, 3200MHz is the sweetspot - Ryzen performs better with faster memory and 3200MHz is the sweetspot for price : performance ratio. But the difference in performance is marginal so if you wanted to save money here you could get a 3000MHz kit. *And the frequency of the memory won't affect your clocking ability.

The 1200 is a great CPU - and as mentioned will clock as well as the 1300X with the right cooler but should hit 3.7GHz comfortably with the supplied stock Wraith giving you 1300X performance for gratis.

So, personally, i would go for the superior motherboard with VRM heatsinks (helps with higher clocks) with the added Gigabyte's great after care service and UK RMA. I've added the 3000MHz memory but you could swap this out for 3200MHz memory if desired/could afford (although you would need to search for 2 X 4Gb geIL 3200MHz AM4 memory from somewhere else as OcUK don't stock it - only 16Gb kits):

Total: £351.42

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom