CAT 6 to Garden office

Associate
Hi

I'm getting an office built in the garden and want to run CAT 6 out there to connect to a PC and TV.

Is it best to run one cable to the office to a switch box and then 2 cables from the box to the TV and PC.

Cheers
S

Associate
You'll get better throughput if you put in a couple of runs of CAT6, it's probably cheaper than getting another switch plus you have a little redundancy in case anything ever happens to one of the cables

If I were you just go for a couple of runs maybe even up to four as spares for the future but it depends on the distance and cost I guess

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks. I was think of that but then realised that my router only have one more available LAN socket free. So would I then connect my router to a 5 port switch box. Then have all the cat cables running from the switch box in the house to the office.

Good idea to have a few spares too.

Cheers
S

Soldato
If you need 1 cable, run 2.
If you need 2 cables, run 4.

A switch at your router end is probably the best way of going but there would be nothing wrong in having a switch in your garden office either. It's a pain when a cable stops working and you end up digging half your garden to get another in.

Don
Use 25mm round conduit and bury it.

You can fit 4x external cat5e into a 20mm tube, but it's quite snug. 4x cat6 should have plenty of room in a 25mm tube.

Back
Top Bottom