Cat & Fiddle

Associate
Not sure where this was posted originally and I'm sure you are all aware of the average speed cameras on the A537, however I love the guys language describing the situation up on the Cat.

The operators of the famous Cat & Fiddle racetrack have promised to have the new automatic timing system working for the Easter meeting. So last weekend I went to check it out. Basically, its a very serious bit of engineering and you won't have any trouble seeing the timing cameras on the overhead gantries. Seems there is a possible gap in the lap recording window though.

Anyway, here are the checkpoint locations for your split lap times starting at the Buxton end of the track. Distances from the junction with the Buxton - Leek road.
Camera 1 = 0.1 miles
Camera 2 = 1.3 miles
Camera 3 = 2.6 miles just before the Cat & Fiddle paddock area.
Camera 4 = 7.0 miles just after second lay-by before Walker Barn.

Obviously for the first 2.6 miles race control will have you well covered.
However, if you have a minimum 5.3 minute pit stop/tab break at the C&F before heading for checkpoint 4 race control will always clock you at less than 50mph whatever your actual speed. The 4.4 miles from checkpoint 3 to checkpoint 4 is also the most interesting part of the track.

If you want to run repeated untimed laps just use the section between the paddock and the layby without passing the checkpoints.

From checkpoint 4 to the end of the track at Macclesfield is untimed.

Not sure yet whether the automatic system will lead to a reduction in mobile race marshall

Back
Top Bottom