CBR600F2 - Another Project!

Soldato
Only just spotted the thread, enjoyed your tri arm rebuild.
As soon as I saw the pic I thought 'that's a us import' based on the colours. Looks like and fp or fr (the f2's in the UK ran from 92 until 95 ish, FM,FN,FP,FR) most likely an fp equivalent as you've got the remote reservoir shock and alloy pillion pegs, the FN didn't have the remote reservoir and had black coated steel pillion hangers.

Loved my FN, brilliant bike.

I've got a pair of clean uncrashed standard clip ons if you want to replace yours, pm me an address and I'll send them over.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Only just spotted the thread, enjoyed your tri arm rebuild.
As soon as I saw the pic I thought 'that's a us import' based on the colours. Looks like and fp or fr (the f2's in the UK ran from 92 until 95 ish, FM,FN,FP,FR) most likely an fp equivalent as you've got the remote reservoir shock and alloy pillion pegs, the FN didn't have the remote reservoir and had black coated steel pillion hangers.

Loved my FN, brilliant bike.

I've got a pair of clean uncrashed standard clip ons if you want to replace yours, pm me an address and I'll send them over.

Great info on the bike! I might take you up on those bars, I will check mine out in more detail, and if I need them you will be the first to know!

I also have the extra cables for the indicators and dual/function bulbs in there, which again proved it was a designed to have them as always on extra lights.

So, onto the work done!
I decided I wanted to move to LED indicators, so i had to make an LED flasher fit nicely, I just hooked it up first to make sure it was working:

CBR600F2124.jpg

Tested it, proved it worked, so I shortened the cables, wrapped them up nicely, and made it look a little more presentable, without adjusting the factory loom at all.

CBR600F2124.jpg

Next... I went a bit crazy...

Whipped this out..

CBR600F2126.jpg

Unhooked all of this, finding two wires that are extra, and not connected to anything, so will work that out from a US wiring loom asap, as I am curious!

CBR600F2127.jpg

I got out a hacksaw blade...

CBR600F2128.jpg

Tidied it up a bit, and then added these (the indicators themselves are not staying, I will use a little more traditional looking smaller ones. However, these were in the parts bin here, and proved that it would work :)

CBR600F2130.jpg

I think its a LOT cleaner, but will deffo need to change the indicator units:

CBR600F2131.jpg

Next I wanted to get rid of these mirror covers on the new mirrors, as getting them to seat nicely was a right pain, and they kept slipping back out.

CBR600F2132.jpg

Quite like the clean look:

CBR600F2133.jpg

I decided to paint them black where I could, so tried to get the mirrors out of the mounts, and managed to do this:

CBR600F2151.jpg

DOH! Finest Chinesium!

Luckily the old ones were much happier with the abuse:

CBR600F2152.jpg

No problem!

Now it was time for paint. cleaned, primered, painted.

CBR600F2155.jpg

Mirror stalks were also under attack, mid primer application.

CBR600F2156.jpg

I the replaced the bulbs in the dash box with LEDs (because why not!) then I decided that the front fairing frame was a little too rusty to leave alone:

CBR600F2134.jpg

Off it comes!

CBR600F2135.jpg

Not the best looking!!

CBR600F2136.jpg

Started to attack with a finger sander:

CBR600F2137.jpg

Spent ages removing paint all over with a selection of hand tools, drill bits, sanders/etc.

CBR600F2143.jpg

A few hours later, I was bored, and then the paint turned up! So I did a little more tidying up in difficult spots with a tiny file, before painting!

I decided that the Hammerite single stage paint was not really ideal, and the drying times were too slow, so this Rustoleum stuff came highly recommended. I used the straight to rust primer to protect any of the little spots I failed to get to (not many!)

Cleaned, and hung up

CBR600F2144.jpg

primer

CBR600F2145.jpg

CBR600F2146.jpg

I was half tempted to leave it! It looked great, and seemed quite hard, but seeing as its going to likely get wet/collect water in a few places, I did then paint it with the gloss black single stage paint.

CBR600F2147.jpg

Couple of coats in, pretty happy, and then fitted!

CBR600F2148.jpg

Much better!

These little fuse cable guides and fuse holder were looking a little off now the other bits were painted, as they are a little more protected, I just primed them. I figure its a nice little way to see how their hold up, and they can be easily removed and redone if they go wrong!

CBR600F2149.jpg

Painted:

CBR600F2150.jpg

CBR600F2153.jpg

CBR600F2154.jpg

All going back together, and then tested that all was working! I am toying with the idea of using the 2 spare cable holders in there to daily chain a couple of plugs, to an ignition live and run a couple of accessories from the 12v+ without it looking too untidy, or adjusting the original loom.

CBR600F2160.jpg

Clocks back in! Wish I knew how to tidy up this shroud, its a floppy rubbery thing. Any ideas?

CBR600F2161.jpg

Talking of wiring, I also knocked up a charging cable for the unit. Snipped off some alligator clips off and soldered them up:

CBR600F2138.jpg

CBR600F2139.jpg

Finished up, shirnkwrapped, and then not fitted, as I had a new battery coming!

CBR600F2140.jpg

And here it is! Few more CCA and Ah :)

CBR600F2141.jpg

Sorted! Need to get a new Positive terminal cover!!

CBR600F2142.jpg

Now I am happy with the paint finish i can get at home again, there will be a couple of other exposed metal parts that get the cleaning/painting routine to just to clean up the overall finish.

I will want to get the frame stripped and powder-coated at some point, as its got a few little spots that I would want to clean up, but cant really do without total dis-assembly. For now I want to get on with riding it! So, it will have to wait :D

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Whilst I had access to the main wiring holder, and as this was an American bike, I decided to use the ignition live that was previuosly running the indicators as sidelights (Currently disconnected) as an extra connector to let me run a couple of accessories easily at a later date (Volt-meter, and USB adaptor). So I daily chained them from there into an OEM type connector:
CBR600F2162.jpg

Stuck into the free wiring holder next to the indicator connector:

CBR600F2163.jpg

Should make it a doddle to add them to the lower end of the connector later :)

Re-assembly of the front end needed a few new rubber gaskets, so I bought some rubber sheeting, and cut the required bits to fit:

CBR600F2164.jpg

There were a few gaskets to make up, but then it was all done, and looking like this (with the newly modded mirrors:

CBR600F2165.jpg

Whislt they were off, I cleaned up the main fairing panels, then went about adding a layer of protective trim to the lower edges, as one was peeling. This is would do a couple of things,

A - Cover the damage
B - Stop it getting worse!
C - Add a further layer of protection to the plasitcs underneath the bike

Cut to size, and mid-fitting with the heat gun!

CBR600F2166.jpg

Fitted, tidied up, and trimed to match the decals where needed:

CBR600F2167.jpg

The side with the damage:

CBR600F2168.jpg

Mostly covered up:

CBR600F2169.jpg

Next the fairings all went on, and you can see the back end looking a little more "together" then before

CBR600F2170.jpg

Next, whilst watching the Grand Prix, i quickly wrapped the tired looking plastic trim panels that fit above the clocks:

CBR600F2171.jpg

Then, whilst moving all the bikes around I decided to grab a couple of photos of my three "big" bikes all together, 80's, 90's and 00's:

CBR600F2172.jpg

CBR600F2173.jpg

CBR600F2174.jpg

CBR600F2175.jpg

It seemed like a rare moment!! All three big bikes were all legal, and ready to ride! However the hornet is going into the shed to be whipped apart for a new gearbox and a general tidy up before it is sold!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Was not happy with the finish of these vanity panels, so re-wrapped them.

CBR600F2176.jpg

Fitted the volt new volt meter, and also a dual USB plug. I will likely use one of them to run a dash-cam, and the other for phone charging if needed.

CBR600F2177.jpg

I also took some time out to glue/sand the heavily cracked clock vanity panel. The left side of the photo above was cracked just left of the turn light to all the way down to the base of the speedo. It had some holes drilled in it, and zip-tied to hold it together. It took a little manipulation but eventually got it mostly lined up, and glue back together.

CBR600F2178.jpg

its a lot more solid now, and it will allow me to sand it back further, and see if I can make the finish look any nicer.

Will see if I can fill/hide the left over holes also :)

Back
Top Bottom