CCTV Help

Soldato
I know there is the big CCTV thread - but as I don't really know what the hell I am doing, it is bringing up more confusion than help over what i *think* is a simple DVR (maybe?) swap.

I have a cheapo 4k chinese camera system. The hardware was working very well, but now something has happened and all the cameras are black. I have tried to go through the settings to try and find a different encoder that would work, but alas, I can't.

Although the hardware was working perfectly, the app for mobile and PC absolutely sucked and I could never figure out how to get it onto any of the other common camera apps like Ispy etc. The IP that the camera throws out just goes to the app that they want you to use and it is terrible.

So I was thinking that I could just find a new DVR or NVR (I am not really sure of the difference as I thought NVR was to do with Networking, but it seems some DVRs also can do the same????)

So. I currently have 4 cameras - I believe they're these ones: https://www.electriq.co.uk/p/tlk4-8402tb/electriq-tlk48402tb

They have 'BNC' connectors apparently.

Can anyone help me with a new DVR thingymajig that would allow me to plug these cameras in and use them with decent mobile and PC apps? :D

Thaaaaanks <3

Associate
I know there is the big CCTV thread - but as I don't really know what the hell I am doing, it is bringing up more confusion than help over what i *think* is a simple DVR (maybe?) swap.

I have a cheapo 4k chinese camera system. The hardware was working very well, but now something has happened and all the cameras are black. I have tried to go through the settings to try and find a different encoder that would work, but alas, I can't.

Although the hardware was working perfectly, the app for mobile and PC absolutely sucked and I could never figure out how to get it onto any of the other common camera apps like Ispy etc. The IP that the camera throws out just goes to the app that they want you to use and it is terrible.

So I was thinking that I could just find a new DVR or NVR (I am not really sure of the difference as I thought NVR was to do with Networking, but it seems some DVRs also can do the same????)

So. I currently have 4 cameras - I believe they're these ones: https://www.electriq.co.uk/p/tlk4-8402tb/electriq-tlk48402tb

They have 'BNC' connectors apparently.

Can anyone help me with a new DVR thingymajig that would allow me to plug these cameras in and use them with decent mobile and PC apps? :D

Thaaaaanks <3

EDIT:
Just realised you have BNC connectors, do your cameras not have the option to use RJ45 connectors as found on ethernet cable?

Last edited:
Don
Something like: https://www.cctv-global.co.uk/dvr-208u-m1 should do the job (it will do 8x 5MP & 8MP HD TVI / AHD/ CVI "BNC Connector" cameras), but will also support an additional 8 IP Cameras (should you wish to migrate/upgrade in the future)

I've not personally used that one, but I have a similar Uniview model - the app and web page are "ok" - fairly functional, but I've had no real issues.

Don
I believe NVRs are for IP cameras [ethernet PoE etc], DVRs are for analogue cameras [BNC connecters etc]

Historically yes - DVRs used to encode analogue camera video signals into digital data to be recorded to a hard drive, whereas NVR was predominately used for (IP) Network Cameras.

These days they can be used somewhat interchangeably, as BNC connected cameras aren't Analogue and don't transmit analogue video data, they transmit digital streams over BNC/Coax Cable, through various standards that essentially have evolved from the below

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom