CD players

Soldato
Need a new CD player as I'm buying some active speakers for my PC and moving my Amp and Eltax's into the front room.

So a few questions.

1. second hand or brand new?
2. brands or things to look for and things to avoid?

Soldato
Second hand.

Marantz CD ranges are fantastic, as are Yamaha's.

Have a quick look at the condition of the laser (either from sellers pics or from your own viewing).

Associate
Budget dictates approach surely? I really like Marantz and Musical fidelity CD players myself.

They'll be good quality and performers at any price point they sell at assuming that's within the budget.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Take a look at philips players too as they are essentially marantz in another guise and can be had cheaper. I picked up a CD930 to replace my antique marantz CD-56 and it's been superb. (though I ended up having to repair the notorious CDM9 transport eject belt gear. (stripped teeth)

Soldato
OP
no I don't i threw my old cd player out along time ago,

looks like marantz second hand will be a reasonable starting place then

(something seams to be wrong with the forum lol your question is after my answer...)

Soldato
i'd be tempted to pick up a dirt cheap dvd player and spend the money on a dac . Ive done this on my 2nd system . Got a hd-dvd player as the transport , Marantz 6004 amp with mission 780se speakers . It will play fine as it is but if I connect my arcam irdac onto it its another level again ( although that's way off your budget lol )

Last edited:
Soldato
While we are on the subject of CD player...would playing audio CD via PC's optical drive considerably worse in audio quality than a standalone CD player?

the cd tray is just the tray , just like a standalone cd player . It then comes down to what your feeding it into. Build quality is what you tend to pay for in standalone units , plus they do other things . Feed the optical into a good dac and see what happens :)

Kei

Kei

Soldato
TBH, I found that both dvd players and bluray players spin the discs too quickly and make far more noise than a dedicated cd player. This isn't a problem if your playing music quite loudly but it's annoying when your playing quietly as ambient.

Back
Top Bottom