Central Locking Gone

Soldato
Today, the Central Locking on my 96 Polo has stopped working. I'm assuming it's that because the alarm still works from the remote fob and when using the key it still doesn't work.

Remember I know sod all about cars so doing it myself is not an option really, but still, the cheaper the better.

What am I looking at for cost to fix and where do I go to get it done?

RoB- said:
Is that easy to do?
Don't wish to offend but if you need to ask that question you are best off getting a knowledgeable friend to give you a hand and show you, or pay a garage. Anything we explain just will not make much sense.

Fair enough.

Back to my original question then, how much is it likely to cost? Reason is because if it's a lot, then it might not be worth doing. Using the key is just a slight inconvenience.

Your first port of call should be a friend who knows what to look for.

Failing that, ut really isn't hard to do yourself. Just get your car manual out, and look up where the fuse box is located - it'll be under the dashboard most likely, but I'm not 100% sure on Polos.

In the manual, there'll be a diagram. Each fuse has a number, and the table underneath tells you what each fuse is for. There'll be one for headlights, one for dashboard lighting etc etc. Look up the one that's listed as central locking, find the corresponding fuse in the fusebox - which is just a simple grid layout of blade type fuses - and pull it out to check if it's blown.

If it is, put a fuse of the same rating back in the slot, and see if the central locking works.

If it doesn't, at least you know a motor or something has indeed blown, and you money won't be wasted down the garage.

Yes they do, and they are universal.

If you find a blown fuse, take it along to the shop with you.

Depending on the fuse design, sometimes you can just open the fusebox lid and see at a glance which one is blown, without needing to remove any of them.

(There are a few different designs but they are all compatible with each other; I'm not trying to confuse you :p)

Checked the fuse at lunchtime. It was actually very easy, apart from getting the damn thing in and out, it was in the most awkward place it can be for a leftie :rolleyes:

Well, it isn't the fuse. Showed it to a colleague who confirmed this.

What is most likely to be the cause now??

Pass. My 'expertise' with central locking involves checking the fuse, then maybe the relay, then giving up and taking it to a garage :p (although if mine went I'd just live without it rather than pay money but that's me)

dirtydog said:
Pass. My 'expertise' with central locking involves checking the fuse, then maybe the relay, then giving up and taking it to a garage :p (although if mine went I'd just live without it rather than pay money but that's me)

Yeah, that's what I said in my 4th post. Still it's annoying that it's broken.

Back
Top Bottom