Chainsaws....

Soldato
Talk to me. What do you recommend.

Budget probably £200, want a petrol one but we won't use it much so an electric may be better?
Needs to be fairly light so fiancé can use it and will be used for log splitting and to chop up large 6" (?) branches.
Thinking Stihl or Hyundai but honestly no idea.

Last edited:
The Hyundai petrol chainsaws are fine for your needs and are great value.
I've owned one of their petrol leaf blowers for a few years and it's been spot on.
I recently bought one of their petrol chainsaws due to needing one quick, and it went through a lot of this (plus much larger pieces) with no bother at all..

A1FAB0r.jpg

Gk7oiUj.jpg

Cracking value for the money.

I've moaned on here before about 2 stroke petrol chainsaws. They are totally suited if it's your day job and need the bigger bar size that they come in, but for light domestic use they have too many downsides.

Up your budget a little and get a good battery one and save yourself the hassle of mixing oil and fuel, the stink and maintenance through lack of use. Pick a model according to your budget and chosen battery ecosystem.

The Hyundai petrol chainsaws are fine for your needs and are great value.
I've owned one of their petrol leaf blowers for a few years and it's been spot on.
I recently bought one of their petrol chainsaws due to needing one quick, and it went through a lot of this (plus much larger pieces) with no bother at all..

A1FAB0r.jpg

Gk7oiUj.jpg

Cracking value for the money.
Mind if I ask what model?

I've moaned on here before about 2 stroke petrol chainsaws. They are totally suited if it's your day job and need the bigger bar size that they come in, but for light domestic use they have too many downsides.

Up your budget a little and get a good battery one and save yourself the hassle of mixing oil and fuel, the stink and maintenance through lack of use. Pick a model according to your budget and chosen battery ecosystem.
We have a 2 stroke strimmer and petrol lawnmowers anyway as we have a pretty big garden but I appreciate the input.
Next buy will be a ride on lawnmower....

Last edited:
For anything of decent size or longer cuts (eg splitting a large log to make benches) I use my petrol Husqvarna (435 IIRC). For smaller limb chopping I got an Erbauer 36v for £150 (inc twin charger and 2 5ah batteries) earlier this year.

Run time on the 36v is OK at best, but I could keep it running for a while as I've got a few batteries, but mostly use the husqvarna if I'm running for a while. Battery is easier if my parents want me to cut a small tree or a few limbs at their place.

Talk to me. What do you recommend.

Budget probably £200, want a petrol one but we won't use it much so an electric may be better?
Needs to be fairly light so fiancé can use it and will be used for log splitting and to chop up large 6" (?) branches.
Thinking Stihl or Hyundai but honestly no idea.
If you’re going to be cutting firewood near the house and mains electricity, a corded electric saw might be the way to go.

As others have said, a battery saw at this price point is going to be bobbins.

Remember that you’ll need chainsaw trousers and a forester’s helmet because chainsaws, regardless of power source, are dangerous.

Buy pre-mixed fuel if you go for a petrol saw for homeowner use. I get through less than 10 litres a year and that’s for chainsaw, line trimmer and leaf blower.

If you’re going to be cutting firewood near the house and mains electricity, a corded electric saw might be the way to go.

As others have said, a battery saw at this price point is going to be bobbins.

Remember that you’ll need chainsaw trousers and a forester’s helmet because chainsaws, regardless of power source, are dangerous.

Buy pre-mixed fuel if you go for a petrol saw for homeowner use. I get through less than 10 litres a year and that’s for chainsaw, line trimmer and leaf blower.
Good point about the trousers and helmet. Will also need gloves.
It won't be cord accessible as the garden is huge.
We have 2 stroke oil and petrol to use that we use in the strimmer..

Stihl ms171. Battery ones at that price will be rubbish. The 171 is nice and light too.

This is what I have. Heavy use two weekends a year and has always worked after sitting in the shed.

Double the budget and get safety gear please. Boots, trousers, gloves, helmet. Don't bother otherwise.

There's a Parkside petrol chainsaw in Lidl this week for £59.99 if you have Lidl plus, £79.99 if you don't.
My experience of low end 2 stroke stuff is not good, so unless this has impeccable pedigree (for a cheapo) I wouldn't. They tend to be terrible at starting, not gunking up, running properly etc

Husqvarna are always good quality. Had 2 both still go fine. One is 20 years old.check out world of power website.
Also sharpening file kit is worth buying .

Back
Top Bottom