Championship Play-Off Thread

Martinez was a good manager for the swans, but left and took the top scorer and head scout and other crucial backroom staff.

I hope he gets a good reception when they play but I can see some of the donkeys booing him just because :/

Anyone record the game & build up and want to burn me a DVD/Bluray of it? :)

Will pay postage and dish out 1 full Internet to the winner.

Just got back, what a game, to think in 2003 the club was sold for £1 and had to win the last game of the season to stay in football league. Can i just say there was not a hint of trouble, when you think last year over 100 seats where torn up with our friends up the road makes you think. First game i saw was v aldershot on a wet windy night with around 2000 people there and tonight we are in premier league...

Up the Swans, when I was at uni I lived next to the vetch.

Trivia; how far from the liberty is the next nearest perm team (in miles)... and is it a record for the most isolated team?

What's significant about Wigan vs Swansea?

As mrbios said its cos of their ex manager there, not that i particulary care but in work almost all the guys are huge swans fans and hate him for it. Before the game today they were already looking forward to the Wigan game if they won :/

Im glad they got up but wont be suprised if they come back down again next season lol, but oh well its nice to actually have beat Cardiff to getting there which I did not expect.

Just got back, what a game, to think in 2003 the club was sold for £1 and had to win the last game of the season to stay in football league. Can i just say there was not a hint of trouble, when you think last year over 100 seats where torn up with our friends up the road makes you think. First game i saw was v aldershot on a wet windy night with around 2000 people there and tonight we are in premier league...

I remember that game (against hull). In fact people were singing yazz in memory of it. It's sad to see the old vetch / was sad the way it got abandoned after they left for the liberty.. Some pictures in the local paper showed the pitch looking like a scene from jumanji.

Interesting fact.. Swansea had an average possession of 61% all season, the highest in ALL four leagues :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Referee was appalling yesterday, absolutely killed the game. Couldn't argue with the penalties but he got pretty much every other decision wrong. Don't know who was marking Long, but whoever it was got away with murder and there was at least one Reading penalty appeal that was even more clear cut than the Swansea ones. Borini was going down quicker than an essex girls knickers...

As for next season, I don't think any of the promoted teams will pose much of a challenge to the current Prem teams, and fully expect them all to be back in the Championship in 12/13.

Referee was appalling yesterday, absolutely killed the game. Couldn't argue with the penalties but he got pretty much every other decision wrong. Don't know who was marking Long, but whoever it was got away with murder and there was at least one Reading penalty appeal that was even more clear cut than the Swansea ones. Borini was going down quicker than an essex girls knickers...

As for next season, I don't think any of the promoted teams will pose much of a challenge to the current Prem teams, and fully expect them all to be back in the Championship in 12/13.

Are you a reading fan per chance?

Watching the game from a neutral lover of footballs point of view i didn't see any clear cut reading penalty shouts, unless i missed something?

No actually, i'm a spurs fan. I am from Reading and went to the game, so would be slightly biased but not by that much. Was either a corner or freekick, and the defender was all over someone, arms wrapped round, holding on to the Reading players shirt and sending him flying, but the ref waved play on. Dowd didn't give a thing to Reading in the first half, and the same thing was happening throughout the second half, ref waving play on when blatent fouls were happening, or giving them Swanseas way.

Swansea were the better team though, and probably just about edged it, but Phil Dowd's performance was awful and really killed the game, in my opinion that game should have been given to Howard Webb, as with all the big important games, the others just aren't good enough.

Still, don't think any of the teams going up are good enough for the Prem.

Epic game yesterday, Dobbie's goal was sensational. :D

Should have had a couple more as well but I think Borini missed a few great chances and then missed a chance to slip it to Sinclair after beating two men in the box. Can't wait to see what the Jacks can do in the Prem, one of the best footballing sides I've seen in recent years. When they attack they really do it with flair, great game, Reading were unfortunate with some decisions but I think both penalties were fair and that Khizanishvili shouldn't have even been on the pitch after 20 minutes.

No actually, i'm a spurs fan. I am from Reading and went to the game, so would be slightly biased but not by that much. Was either a corner or freekick, and the defender was all over someone, arms wrapped round, holding on to the Reading players shirt and sending him flying, but the ref waved play on. Dowd didn't give a thing to Reading in the first half, and the same thing was happening throughout the second half, ref waving play on when blatent fouls were happening, or giving them Swanseas way.

ah fair enough, i think i must have missed that particular moment :)

That said reading duid have somthing like 15 corners so its eay to forget one :p

Swansea have been a bit lucky regarding penalties over the 3 play off games it has to be said, but luck is your 12th man in the playoffs! If he has a blinder you have a great chance, not to say they didn't deserve it.

Last edited:
It wasn't so much luck with the penalties yesterday Reading's defenders just seemed to be trying too hard and making stupid tackles. Lets not also forget they played almost an entire game against Forest with 10 men and managed to keep it at 0-0, that was a golden opportunity for Forest and they couldn't capitalise.

I watched all of the playoff games and have to say Swansea looked the best outfit even though they did ride their luck a bit (woodwork came to their rescue at least twice at crucial times).

Last edited:
That slide tackle that pushed the ball to the woodwork from the long range effort.. I have to admit, I almost gave birth thinking it was going to go in :/

Only decision I would have said Reading were unlucky for was the handball by Gower in the box, and even then it wasn't clear cut. I've seen it given before, but I wouldn't say the referee had a bad game.

@ K1LLSWITCH.. are you thinking of Dobbie's effort where he took on 3 players then fluffed the shot *which went out for a throw* ? :)

@ K1LLSWITCH.. are you thinking of Dobbie's effort where he took on 3 players then fluffed the shot *which went out for a throw* ? :)

Not that one, it was a few days ago now and my short term memory is terrible at the best of times but it was a move that went down the left with Sinclair and a couple of others linking up, the ball got intercepted by the Reading defence and somehow made it's way to Dobbie who put it to the left corner. I think. :D

Back
Top Bottom