Change from Soundblaster ZX to Sennheiser 1000 GSX

Soldato
As per the title, I am about to change from my current ZX set-up to a GSX 1000. The main reason for this is because needing to access the software on the PC to switch between speakers and headphones bugs me a little - with some games it can be a right faff because they really don't like alt-tabbing.

Anyway, immediately after clicking to buy I suddenly realised one element the GSX lacks - a built in microphone.

I don't think that's enough to change my mind about the switch. But any advice on my best solution?

Should I just leave my headset plugged in and on the desk, and see if its mike picks up my voice OK? Or can I get a reasonably priced desk mike? And if the latter, do any have a plug through facility so I don't have to keep switching the headset mike and the desk mike in the back of the GSX?

It'd be a shame if sometimes wanting to have voice comms without wearing the headset ruined the seamlessness of the transition from speakers to headset that I'm hoping for!

Soldato
Honestly @bazzabear If gaming is your main focus the GSX 1000 is the best you can get for 7.1 virtual surround sound /Fact!
@EsaT He a hater! :p He dislikes the GSX 1000

Read my Thread on here and over at Head-fi and you will see just how wrong he is! Hell dont even take my word for it watch Youtube videos etc

This review I very much like its on for 1 hour but he covers everything and I totally agree 100% here

"Warning does contain some bad language"

Soldato
OP
I considered the hotkey switching solution. But in my experience, half the time you switch with the SBZ utility, an app already running doesn't start playing it's sound through the new device anyway, so you still have to shut it down and start up again.

The massive extra convenience will be worth a slight drop in audio quality - assuming my 40 year old ears can tell any difference anyway.

I hadn't realised there was an existing thread - I'll give it a look, thanks!

Soldato
What headphones are you using?

GSX output is somewhat weedy. If you've got say, AKG K702 for example, I'd stick with the SB Z or look at something else.

Soldato
I considered the hotkey switching solution. But in my experience, half the time you switch with the SBZ utility, an app already running doesn't start playing it's sound through the new device anyway, so you still have to shut it down and start up again.
That likely means settings changing in channel configuration of Windows.
If that isn't changed application playing sound shouldn't notice any difference.

Because regardless if headphone or line out is used, there's only one analog output device for SB Z in Windows Playback devices.
Unlike for example Realtek which can be made to show motherboard's rear connectors as different device from front panel headphone header.

Again on the fly changes in playback device channel configuration would likely be problematic for many applications.

@EsaT He a hater! :p He dislikes the GSX 1000
I dislike dishonest companies scamming consumers.
No one would buy it if Creative sold Audigy Fx with £200 price sticker, or would you?

There's neither good DAC or headphone amp in GSX and it would very likely struggle with many of Sennheiser's own higher end headphones.
https://prom-electric.ru/media/CX20745_ds.pdf
If price were some £70-80 then I could consider it not as scam.

And while binaural sound simulation/HRTF is certainly very good, basing to recordings wouldn't call it better with it and Creative's algorithm trading blows.

Of course maybe some headphones could work better with it.
But myself have AKG K702 as reference which, is one of the most accurate/neutral headphones.

Also that particular HRTF could work better for some particular head shape.
But that would also mean it suffering with other head shapes.
Getting over that problem would need head shape customizable HRTF.

Soldato
That likely means settings changing in channel configuration of Windows.
If that isn't changed application playing sound shouldn't notice any difference.

Because regardless if headphone or line out is used, there's only one analog output device for SB Z in Windows Playback devices.
Unlike for example Realtek which can be made to show motherboard's rear connectors as different device from front panel headphone header.

Again on the fly changes in playback device channel configuration would likely be problematic for many applications.

I dislike dishonest companies scamming consumers.
No one would buy it if Creative sold Audigy Fx with £200 price sticker, or would you?

There's neither good DAC or headphone amp in GSX and it would very likely struggle with many of Sennheiser's own higher end headphones.
https://prom-electric.ru/media/CX20745_ds.pdf

And while binaural sound simulation/HRTF is certainly very good, basing to recordings wouldn't call it better with it and Creative's algorithm trading blows.

Of course maybe some headphones could work better with it.
But myself have AKG K702 as reference which, is one of the most accurate/neutral headphones.

Also that particular HRTF could work better for some particular head shape.
But that would also mean it suffering with other head shapes.
Getting over that problem would need head shape customizable HRTF.

It was never designed to be used for high end headphones. It's for gaming and used for any of Sennheiser own gaming headphones zero for example.

Please don't judge GSX from recording, you will never get a good feedback from how hard it is to record the unit.

I came from SBz and the GSX wins easy for its surround sound.

Soldato
OP

Agreed about the on the fly changes. That's largely why this appeals - as far as the computer is concerned, the output hasn't changed at all. It's simply the GSX itself changing where it routes the sound.

And I've bought it for £95, so I'm pretty happy. Although I think I can't say from where as it wasn't OC.

Soldato
OP
Slightly daft question - do I need to have 7.1 headphones to make use of the 7.1 output? Or does it just use clever trickery to simulate 7.1?

Soldato
No, just normal stereo headphones. The GSX provides the audio cues to the headphones which gives the listener the impression the sounds are coming from different locations, just as SBX Prostudio does on the SB Z. Some headphones perform better than others though..

Most 7.1 headsets are stereo anyway and have what is essentially a built in sound card, which does the same thing. Of course being USB, they won't work with anything else like the GSX or a sound card.

While 7.1 USB headsets do the same thing in theory, the majority are not of the same quality as a decent sound card + decent headphones. Most 7.1 headsets use Dolby Headphone, which isn't as good as what Sennheiser has on the GSX or Creative's SBX.

Soldato
OP
That's a pleasing answer, I quite like my Siberia v2's, even if they are getting on a bit!

The GSX 1000 arrived today, and is working great. I completely forgot that it was B stock as I was setting it up. Everything in the packaging gave the impression that it was brand new, and there's not a mark on it.

Soldato
OP
What headphones are you using?

GSX output is somewhat weedy. If you've got say, AKG K702 for example, I'd stick with the SB Z or look at something else.

Sorry, I never spotted this post. I've got Siberia v2's. I seem to be getting good output, have had to turn it down to a pretty low level in fact.

Soldato
If you are referring to the GSX1000; then highly unlikely. The HD800 are 300 Ohm.

Someone tried AKG K712 with the GSX and it wasn't a good pairing really. He added an amp, to give the headphones the more power they needed that the GSX alone could not provide, and that just messed up the sound.

Best stick to easy to drive headphones with the GSX. Normally around 32-80 Ohm I would say. K702/712 are 62 Ohm, but are an exception, in that they are harder to drive than the low Ohm rating suggests.

Back
Top Bottom