Change ip address on bt business hub 5

Associate
im having diffuculty in doing this, when i change and click apply, it wont let me back in using the new ip, have to reset each time, anyone know how?

Thanks

Associate
Are you changing the IP address of the device or the IP range used, if you are changing the range you will need to make sure you PC has picked up an address within the new range. Assuming your PC picks up an address from the router and you haven't assigned it manually the simplest way to do this is restart the PC.

Associate
OP
Changing the ip adress of the business hub 5. When i click apply the page does not reload, which is correct however when i type new address in, i cant
access the hub, so i have to hard reset it to access it on its original ip.

Im trying to change the ip so i can have it as an ap, it worked fine on hh3, but until i can change the ip on busines hub 5 i cant use it

Soldato
If you're changing the IP address to that in a different range you'll need to make sure you also change its DHCP assigning range and reboot your PC you're accessing it from so it picks up a new address that can 'see' the new router's IP.

What are you attempting to change the business hub from and to in terms of IP address?

Associate
OP
I had a hh3 with an ip address that i changed and worked with the range of my virgin hub, the hh3 was used as an access point, it works fine but drops the signal every now and again, so i bought a new business hub 5.

Im trying to replicate the hh3; on changing the ip address of it to be the same as hh3 which i know works and in the range of the virgin, when i type in new address to then turn of dhcp and config ssid etc it wont allow me in to the business hub with the new ip address, it comes up with 403 forbidden.

192.169.0.254 is waht im trying to use, which is at the end range of the virgin hub

Ipv6: is it owt to with this?

Soldato
Disconnect the BT hub from the rest of the network and connect a PC to it.

Login and change the DHCP range to use 192.168.0.n and assign your management IP. Save your setting.

Reboot the PC so that it gets a 192.168.0.n address instead of a 192.168.1.n address.

You should now be able to login using the new IP address.

Disable DHCP and then connect it to the rest of the network.

Associate
OP
Wonder if you know the answer to why the hub 5 keeps restarting, when i check, it has the green bar flashig, reading up, its poss that it cant find the bt internet and restarts, thinking there is a problem, obviously it will never find bt internet as its only used as a access point with my virgin.

When it dont keep restarting it works great.

Is there a setting i can tell it not to look for bt internet, if that makes sense

Thanks

Soldato
Why did you buy the BT Hub as an AP in the first place? Would've been better getting an actual AP instead.

I temporarily had to use the HH5 as an AP as well for work, but never had the restart problem. All I did was disable DHCP server and made sure the IP didn't conflict with anything. It shouldn't be flashing green though, I remember it was flashing orange instead. There's nothing connected to the phone socket right?

Associate
OP
Assuming it has an Ethernet WAN port can you configure it use it instead of the internal modem?
There is a red port that is WAN and 4 yellow ports which are Gigabit, think i understand what you you mean. How would i go abot this.

My ethernet cable is in the yellow port at mo

Internal modem is trying to find BT internet..... correct? But it cant so it restarts? If i diasble modem its just getting plain old internet from my ethternet cable ehich come via my virgin hub...correct?

Am i on right track

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Why did you buy the BT Hub as an AP in the first place? Would've been better getting an actual AP instead.

I temporarily had to use the HH5 as an AP as well for work, but never had the restart problem. All I did was disable DHCP server and made sure the IP didn't conflict with anything. It shouldn't be flashing green though, I remember it was flashing orange instead. There's nothing connected to the phone socket right?

It was only 15 £ brand new and i made my hh3 work so assumed it would be same, and i wanted the power save feature but it dint have the same one, typical. It flashes orange like you say and it works fine but then its green then blue and nothing ouut of it till back orange again

Nothing connected to phone socket

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a red port that is WAN and 4 yellow ports which are Gigabit, think i understand what you you mean. How would i go abot this.
There must be some settings in the router that'll allow you to select the Ethernet WAN port (they use it for fibre connections).

Try to set it to a fixed IP.

Whether that'll help or not I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom