Change iTunes backup location

Soldato
I'm using iTunes under Windows 10 for managing two iphones.

One issue I have is that I can't seem to change the backup location. I have a 250GB SSD, a 1TB HDD and a 3GB external HDD.

I don't want to waste space on my SSD with itunes backups. Is there any way for me to change the backup location?

Soldato
I'm using iTunes under Windows 10 for managing two iphones.

One issue I have is that I can't seem to change the backup location. I have a 250GB SSD, a 1TB HDD and a 3GB external HDD.

I don't want to waste space on my SSD with itunes backups. Is there any way for me to change the backup location?

Don’t think you can change it in iTunes, if not you might have to use symbolic links in windows to point the backup folder to another location.

Soldato
OP
Tried setting up symbolic links before and couldn't get that to work. Couldn't open a command prompt at location only a powershell and steps I found online to reenable that in Windows 10 didn't work.

I'm trying to move from her old iPhone to a new one and the whole experience is cancerous.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Quit iTunes, open Notepad, paste the below and it save it somewhere as Move_iTunesiPhoneBackupLocation.cmd

Change the references to D:\ if you want the directory to be somewhere else than the root of D:\

Run that batch file once, and you're good to go. You can move the contents of the Backup_OLD directory to the newly created D:\iTunesMobileSync\Backup before launching iTunes and it should pick everything up as normal.

@Echo OFF
IF NOT EXIST "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer" MD "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer"
IF NOT EXIST "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync" MD "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync"
IF EXIST "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" RENAME "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "Backup_OLD"

IF NOT EXIST "D:\iTunesMobileSync" MD "D:\iTunesMobileSync"
IF NOT EXIST "D:\iTunesMobileSync\Backup" MD "D:\iTunesMobileSync\Backup"

MKLINK /J "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\iTunesMobileSync\Backup"

Back
Top Bottom