Change of plan to a new build

Associate
Afternoon all, its been a while now since I built a PC but I'm looking to get back into it whilst keeping it discreet in size

I'm looking at about £1000-£1500 for a small PC build; think that would be mini ATX or ITX but this is the first time in me going this size so its a new world for me and I'm after your advice

The PC would be paired with an iiyama ultrawide monitor as opposed to a 4k screen but would like ray tracing if possible to get the best graphics out of it at the same time for future proofing

Look forward to your feedback and specs

Associate
Coolermaster NR200P Max isn't a bad shout for price. Only available from one retailer in uk so you have to google it. £329.99, new stock arrives 30th april.
Comes with choice of tempered glass side or ventilated steel side panel, an 850W Gold certified psu with custom length cables, pcie gen 4 riser cable and a 280mm aio
leaves mobo, cpu, ram, nvme and gpu for £1170 if top out budget

probably have to go amd as mini itx z690 boards are expensive and all ddr5 which is also expensive. put the asus b550 i gaming board in as seems to be the one most people choose for mini itx.

Gone overbudget again below as put a 3070ti in there...the zotac comes with a 5year warranty..can get 2 at £629, saving £45, but they both have 2 yrs warranty and this one is clocked higher, but if you do that and drop to 16gb of ram rather than 32gb, you could save another £30 if go for better ram, so closing in on your budget

just be aware some people(small group) have got the ram and have struggled to get it to work at 3600C18 as advertised, so be prepared to swap it, run at 3200 rather than 3600 or get slightly more expensive ram

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,275.00 (includes delivery: £11.10)​

If you drop to 16gb then the corsair is solid(the 32gb version is £125 here i think), and the crucial the best being 3600C16 (rgb version same price as non rgb so put that in, but can swap if you like)
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £148.68 (includes delivery: £8.70)

Last edited:
Associate
Just remember that future proofing doesn’t exist.

when you buy a PC part, it’s replacement is already coming. Intel/AMD/Nvidia all plan their products for several years.

if you want the pc to last, start with a good foundation with a 6 core 12 thread cpu.

That’ll give your pc legs until you need to move to 8 core or higher.

I’d opt for a 3080 if you can as that’ll impact your performance more than getting an 8 core CPU and it has the “future proofing” of 10gigs of VRAM.

Associate
Much cheaper case that takes full size cooler and ATX psu saving money. GPU cards 355mm long with good airflow for a small case

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £51.05 (includes delivery: £11.10)​

You can get a full sized psu and GPU in a few small form factor chassis.

from Toms

The Q58 can support ATX PSUs
However, if you don’t want to invest in a pricey SFF or SFF-L power supply, Lian Li also includes a bracket to convert the chassis to ATX mode. In this mode, the Q58 will still happily swallow 320mm graphics cards, but you will be making a few sacrifices. For one, the biggest supported radiator drops from 280mm to 120mm, and storage options drop to just two 2.5-inch drives. So, for best results, we recommend sticking to an SFF power supply

Associate
What are your criteria for the case?
I originally went for a Silverstone Sugo S14 because it perfectly fit the space I had.
Then i had to move my setup and made my own case, specifically tailored to minimise the footprint.

Associate
OP
I dont really have any specific criteria, I just fancied doing a small build as I've usually gone full size cases.
To be honest thought I've been having second thoughts on this as I do have room for a normal case and dont want to be restricted by size so may change my build to include the Corsair Carbide 275R White case because I've just taken a shine to that case and it seems to be for a good price.

Associate
Just as something different then, the below Corsair obsidian case for £269.99 is on sale away in 2 places for £97 to £99...it comes with 3 LL120 fans and a Commander pro in it also, which i listed below(come with case, so no need to buy, just listed so you can see price). So the case package is almost the same price as just buying the fans by themselves....if you do like the case, it takes a 240/280mm aio in top..seen the h115i(280mm) elite capellix on sale for £107 today also, again put below...so case and aio for £205ish instead of £430ish

Associate
though elite aio comes with a commander core anyway, and the 4000X gives you more modern clean look, and that's on offer away for £99.98 also, just sp elite fans instead of the ll120's

Associate
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-thetis-aluminium-atx-cube-silver-window-ca-03b-rt.html
As compact as many ITX cases, but gives more options.
ATX motherboard
ATX PSU
Full size CPU cooler or 240mm AIO
Large graphics cards
280mm max length gpu isn't that large anymore. any triple fan gpu prob wont fit

what about the lian li air mini...another option..again, as above, full size atx case/psu..gpu length up to 362mm....if you go full size atx, limits position of the aio though...would be side mounted rather than top
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £109.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Associate
I believe even with front HDD installed the limit is more like 320
Haven't really seen case before, just went with discription, where it says repeatedly can take a gpu up to 280mm in length... Still a smart looking case though, just something too be aware of

Associate
OP
Youve also got ddr5 for a ddr4 mobo

Glad you mentioned that, I was looking on an alternative website and they have ASUS PRIME Z690-A ATX Motherboard which is the one I was after and is DDR5 but OC don't seem to sell the exact match, alternative is below

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,230.40 (includes delivery: £10.50)​

Back
Top Bottom