Changing a 10amp fuse?

Soldato
We have an extension lead here that is supplied with a 10 amp fuse. Is it possible to replace this with a 13 amp fuse, or would it have to be a direct replacement?

Sorry for the noob question, but I dont plan on killing myself today :p

Associate
Well, if you put a 13amp in, it will be overrated for the lead, probably nothing of note would happen, but it's your house.
Fit a lower rated fuse, say a 5amp, then this will be underrated & if anything should go wrong then it would blow the fuse.

Soldato
OP
Cheers, think I will just stick with the rated 10 amp fuse.

What is that statistic about DIY related accidents at home again? :p

Soldato
The 13A fuse in place of a 10A fuse wouldn't directly cause any problem - but then, if there's a problem with the appliance you're using, or if you plug in too many things and the current goes over 10A but under 13A, then under the new fuse the extension lead will keep working whereas the old fuse would have blown. Given that the rest of the extension lead is probably not expected to work safely over 10A, you're potentially increasing the possibility of a fire. Doesn't strike me as especially likely, but in general using a higher rated fuse than is required isn't good practice.

Soldato
Probably be fine but if the lead is close to tolerance anyway and you put a lot of current it will potentially nuke itself from orbit and melt, turning an inocuous lead into an electrical death trap. You could always plug it in via an RCD to make sure you only get a little zap when/ if it goes up in smoke.

Having the correct fuse won't always save you from disaster, I've seen the consiquences of drawing a big load through a coiled 50m extention cord without blowing the fuse, a lot of molten cable.

MB

Soldato
Nismo said:
We have an extension lead here that is supplied with a 10 amp fuse. Is it possible to replace this with a 13 amp fuse, or would it have to be a direct replacement?

Sorry for the noob question, but I dont plan on killing myself today :p
Replace it with the rated fuse and nothing else. Fuses protect cable and appliances. RCDs reduce the chance of electric shock and cannot necessarily protect against your cabling causing a fire hazard.

Back
Top Bottom