Changing diet time

Capodecina
Soldato
Joined
1 Aug 2005
Posts
20,001
Location
Flatland
No, not going on a diet because that's silly. I'm 27 now and I've noticed that I really have to change the things that I'm eating. Drinking loads of beer and eating pizza every night are not the way forward, so I'm going to cut things down to moderation and not go out for meals as much.

I've been having Ryvita and salad every day for lunch for over a week and I know it sounds boring but it's actually really good! Better than a Sainsbury's sandwich, Coke and a packet of crisps.

Also I have to cut down no the amount of beer I have in the evenings - two cans is fine, anything more is just too much.

I've heard that if you eat anything with less than 4% fat in it then you can stay healthy and it doesn't matter how much of it you eat. Is this true and can anyone think of any other nice foods/meals that may fit this?
 
Associate
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
1,227
Location
NH USA (Brit Expat)
Lysander said:
I've heard that if you eat anything with less than 4% fat in it then you can stay healthy and it doesn't matter how much of it you eat.

Absolutely pap, where on Earth did you get that from???
What about sodium content? Carbs? Sugar? Colourings and preservatives?

Seriously mate, it's not as easy as just eating "low-fat" despite what the advertising companies would say.
 
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Joined
1 Aug 2005
Posts
20,001
Location
Flatland
daveyj27 said:
Absolutely pap, where on Earth did you get that from???
What about sodium content? Carbs? Sugar? Colourings and preservatives?

Seriously mate, it's not as easy as just eating "low-fat" despite what the advertising companies would say.

Well, shows how little I know!! Amazing sticky, thanks for pointing me in the direction of that.
 
Caporegime
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
32,623
The % fat means nothing, more important if you are concerned with weight control is calorific input and output.

Something that is high in fat doesn't mean it is unhealthy. Moderation...
 
Man of Honour
Joined
11 Mar 2004
Posts
76,634
Be careful with low fat food, some brands just increase the sugar to make it taste good, so you get the same amount of calories.

The calorie is what is important as well as low fat/sugar.

Just make everything from scratch , then you wont get the rubbish fats, preservatives and everything else. If you do make everything from scratch remember to add salt. Sea salt is very good and contains 100's of other important chemicals. Refined salt isn't nearly as good for you but research has still showen it hasn't got any bad side effects except in a very very very small number of people. But read the research and make your own mind up.

AND 2 pints of beer is far to much that's over 400 KCals which is a lot. Try Sunday-Thursday no drinking.

If you can cut sugar out for 3days you wont get sugar cravings and you will also find you wont be as hungry, but the first few days is hard and you do have to cut all sugar out pretty much apart from natural like fruit.
 
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Joined
1 Aug 2005
Posts
20,001
Location
Flatland
AcidHell2 said:
AND 2 pints of beer is far to much that's over 400 KCals which is a lot. Try Sunday-Thursday no drinking.

If you can cut sugar out for 3days you wont get sugar cravings and you will also find you wont be as hungry, but the first few days is hard and you do have to cut all sugar out pretty much apart from natural like fruit.

Yes you're right, I generally end up havnig two cans of beer a night if I'm indoors, more if I go out. Not drinking for three nights a week should be fine, I'll have something else instead like apple juice. This only all started when I moved in with my girlfriend, it wasn't like this before.. so I'm going to attempt to go back to that.
 
Soldato
Joined
11 Jun 2004
Posts
4,201
Location
Middlesex, London
Lysander said:
No, not going on a diet because that's silly. I'm 27 now and I've noticed that I really have to change the things that I'm eating. Drinking loads of beer and eating pizza every night are not the way forward, so I'm going to cut things down to moderation and not go out for meals as much.

I've been having Ryvita and salad every day for lunch for over a week and I know it sounds boring but it's actually really good! Better than a Sainsbury's sandwich, Coke and a packet of crisps.

Also I have to cut down no the amount of beer I have in the evenings - two cans is fine, anything more is just too much.

I've heard that if you eat anything with less than 4% fat in it then you can stay healthy and it doesn't matter how much of it you eat. Is this true and can anyone think of any other nice foods/meals that may fit this?

So since you've been doing this - Have you lost any weight?
 
Soldato
Joined
24 Jul 2006
Posts
8,876
Location
Hoddesdon, London, UK
Calories is what i watch, cut down from about 3000 a day to around 2000 and i've lost a stone and 1/4 since the last days of December, love handles and stomach etc.. are looking like 'normal' now lol. Haven't exercised much this year to be honest.
 
Soldato
Joined
24 Jul 2006
Posts
8,876
Location
Hoddesdon, London, UK
Lysander said:
Yes you're right, I generally end up havnig two cans of beer a night if I'm indoors, more if I go out. Not drinking for three nights a week should be fine, I'll have something else instead like apple juice. This only all started when I moved in with my girlfriend, it wasn't like this before.. so I'm going to attempt to go back to that.

You got a girlfriend and you're living with her, you need some sort of buzz lol.
 
Caporegime
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
32,623
AcidHell2 said:
.
....
AND 2 pints of beer is far to much that's over 400 KCals which is a lot. Try Sunday-Thursday no drinking.

...

But then you become a binge drinker drinking heavily on weekends. Better than getting blind drunk at weekends is to enjoy alcohol sensibly throughout the week, with some non-alcohol days, and just watching the total consumption.

Nothing wrong with having a couple of glases of wine with your meal (especially if its red), or a good beer with a curry, or maybe just a G&T or cocktail when you come home from work on a summers day.

Alcohol is only a problem if on any particular ocasion you over-consume. Your bodilly happily proceses small quantities of alchol with no ill effect. Only when you overload your liver will it be a problem.


This is the way europeans tend to drink, and they have far lower alcohol related incidence and illnesses compared to the British.


However, 2 beers a day ever day, unless you're going out and you drink more, is a bit excessive though.
 
Man of Honour
Joined
11 Mar 2004
Posts
76,634
D.P. said:
But then you become a binge drinker drinking heavily on weekends. Better than getting blind drunk at weekends is to enjoy alcohol sensibly throughout the week, with some non-alcohol days, and just watching the total consumption.

Nothing wrong with having a couple of glases of wine with your meal (especially if its red), or a good beer with a curry, or maybe just a G&T or cocktail when you come home from work on a summers day.

Alcohol is only a problem if on any particular ocasion you over-consume. Your bodilly happily proceses small quantities of alchol with no ill effect. Only when you overload your liver will it be a problem.


This is the way europeans tend to drink, and they have far lower alcohol related incidence and illnesses compared to the British.


However, 2 beers a day ever day, unless you're going out and you drink more, is a bit excessive though.

Where not talking about alcohol here, where talking about the calories in said drink. 2 pints a night is a lot of your daily allowance of calories.
 
Man of Honour
Joined
11 Mar 2004
Posts
76,634
Lysander said:
True, but could you drink two pints a night if you ate really low calorie stuff all day? :p

yep
There are also low cal beers.

All depends why your doing it.

If you simply want to lose weight

Calorie intake < calories used

If you want to get healthier then it's not as simple. You need to look at what your eating and doing as well. eating fresh veg and cooking/making everything yourself. Using less refined food (sugar, salt, colourings ect) and replacing with natural alternatives like palm sugar/honey, sea salt and herbs/spices.
 
Back
Top Bottom