Changing discs and pads

Associate
Hi

I'm needing to change the discs and pads on my wife's VW Tiguan.

as money is a smidge tight at the mo I was wondering if you guys could help me out a little? Is it a difficult job to do? I'm not totally incapable of doing little projects but car maintenance isn't something Ive ever really dabbled with.

Youtube vids make it look relatively straightforward so I guess I'm just looking for some piece of mind.

Thanks

Soldato
I don't do many car repairs myself, but I do watch a lot of car repair YouTube videos.

Discs and pads are certainly do-able by the home mechanic, but you need the right tools, a safe place/way to work on the car, and you need to know exactly what you are doing so you make a safe repair. It's not something I would attempt cold without having some expert guidance doing it the first time.

Where do you usually get the car fixed? You can often find good VW independents that are reasonably priced.

Associate
OP
It's very easy if you have the tools to do it. Can be a bit trickier if your car as an electric parking brake.

Ive got a comprehensive set of tools, where I get a bit lost is some people are saying I need a piston rewind tool? Others are saying I can get in with a large flat head driver and work the pistons back that way.

The Tiguan does have an electric parking brake does that make it much more difficult?

Caporegime
Ive got a comprehensive set of tools, where I get a bit lost is some people are saying I need a piston rewind tool? Others are saying I can get in with a large flat head driver and work the pistons back that way.
if it's anything like disk brakes on mountain bikes, then piston tools are a waste of money, and we just use screw drivers or a plastic tyre lever.

car ones might be a lot harder to push back though, and a tool could be wise

Last edited:
Associate

The Tiguan does have an electric parking brake does that make it much more difficult?
Rear caliper pistons need to be twisted while they are pushed in, if they're anything like the rear brakes on the VWs I've worked on in the past (up to about 2012). It can be done with a g-clamp of the right size and some pliers to twist it, but you need to be very careful not to scratch the piston surfaces or damage the seal.

You can pick up a tool for a tenner off Amazon though...

I'm sure you will pick this up in any videos etc you watch, but remember to open the brake fluid reservoir before you try to push the pistons back in otherwise you're in for a world of struggles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rear caliper pistons need to be twisted while they are pushed in, if they're anything like the rear brakes on the VWs I've worked on in the past (up to about 2012). It can be done with a g-clamp of the right size and some pliers to twist it, but you need to be very careful not to scratch the piston surfaces or damage the seal.

You can pick up a tool for a tenner off Amazon though...

I'm sure you will pick this up in any videos etc you watch, but remember to open the brake fluid reservoir before you try to push the pistons back in otherwise you're in for a world of struggles.
On mine when you disable the electronic parking brake with a scanner tool, they wind in most of the way, then they just push the rest of the way.
I've heard some say you can unplug the motor and wind manually I haven't tried that way though and I'm sure different manufacturers are different.

Soldato
If you need to wind the pistons in then get a proper tool, they're only a few quid on ebay and well worth it than having to faff around trying to twist it in with a pair of needle nose pliers etc.

Check how to do the rears for the handbrake though as some need to be wound in by the car by plugging into the diagnostic port, others you can just disconnect the actuator on the back of the caliper and wind it back in in the normal way.

I'd say do the fronts yourself as they'll be a lot easier but the world of electronic parking brakes has made the job WAYYYY more of a faff for the home mechanic :(

Man of Honour
I really wouldn't try and wind back rear calipers using screwdrivers/pliers etc etc - they can be quite hard to wind, and you are just asking to have a screwdriver slip off and either stab through your caliper seal, or more likely the palm of your hand.
The proper tool is not super expensive.

Soldato
Don't know vw, but for bmw having a hex drive socket bit can be useful for calliper removal - my standalone allen keys are not really man enough, also putting some plus-gas on bolts in advance.

Soldato
I bought a wind back tool to do my rear brakes on the Mazda 6 sport

Was dead proud that I got the right tool and then after attempting to wind them back, turns out they actually just push back.

However changing pads/disks is pretty easy..be prepared for a seized or rusted bolt though.

One of mine rounded and smashed the socket. I had a bolt remover socket that basically rips into the head so was ok in the end.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A can of WD40 is handy for stiff/seized caliper mounting bolts. It's a easy enough job to do and should take 30-45 mins per side depending on if you have done it before. Always be safe and use axle stands though. Don't be tempted to leave the car on the jack because one stiff bolt and you could end up with the car coming off the jack. When pushing the piston in do it gently so as not to put too much strain on the seals plus spill brake fluid from the reservoir which will strip paint.

Associate
The electronic parking brake will be your main issue as you need to put the Caliper into service mode that winds back the piston mechanism. You will need VCDS,Carly or OBDEleven to do it.

Soldato
Surprised no one mentioned grease.

When you do it, it's worth trying to clean everything up first.

You should ideally add copper grease behind the pads, or the contact points between the pads and your caliper.

......not the brake surface :)

But also grease around the piston, sliders and seals, however you need to use a red grease/rubber grease for that part as other types will eat the rubber seals over time.

It'll keep it moving freely for longer in the long term.

Soldato
Im usually good at changing pads but not done discs yet .may attempt on my e82 BMW this summer..

Invest in decent jack and stands, wd40 caliper pins the night before you start and again just before you start as sometimes they seize and are a pain to get undo. People suggesting the caliper windback tool. You can do..I tend to use slip joint pliers , but the windback tool is cheap enough .

Iv not done discs before so I have been watching a few vids myself. Think once you undo a couple of bolts and screws bang the disc with hammer until it starts coming loose. Remove, then cleanup area where the disc sits on etc wire brush or drill bit with wire brush attachment . Etc refit.

I'll see if I actually do it :)

Back
Top Bottom