Changing local group policy to allow casting

Associate
Heyo,

So, just got a new job with more responsibility Vs my last role as an IT engineer.

Didn’t get to play around with GPOs in previous role but doing so now on a clean newly built laptop hooked to the domain.

There’s an LG tv that’s allows casting, also tried Microsoft wireless adapted, and it will not connect and fails.

Although it works fine on a non-domain joint laptop.

I tried to google it specifically and wasn’t able to find if there is a policy to change or a firewall change?

Would someone with more experience able to help? :)

Soldato
In your Group Policy (not local policy) you need to look at your policy where you configure WiFi settings and under Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies.

Firstly check that the networks you have deployed here are of a Vista and later type, and then on the Network Permissions tab you need to make sure the "Don't allow Wi-Fi Direct groups" option is unticked. If it still doesn't work after this you may need to also look at your outbound firewall policy to make sure that miracast traffic isn't being blocked.

As a reminder since you say you're new to this; don't just go and start editing your Group Policies trying to get this to work. Make a copy of your existing policy, attach that to a test OU and then put the computer you want to test against in that OU. You can then start making changes to the copy of policy to test whether this works without risk of unexpectedly breaking the workstations across your organisation with the changes you're making.

Edit:- you might also need to change Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> DNS Client -> Turn off multicast name resolution to disabled or not configured.

Last edited:
Soldato
Before you change anything check you are allowed to do it.

Not all companies are happy with changing settings and deviating from the standard build.

Associate
OP
In your Group Policy (not local policy) you need to look at your policy where you configure WiFi settings and under Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies.

Firstly check that the networks you have deployed here are of a Vista and later type, and then on the Network Permissions tab you need to make sure the "Don't allow Wi-Fi Direct groups" option is unticked. If it still doesn't work after this you may need to also look at your outbound firewall policy to make sure that miracast traffic isn't being blocked.

As a reminder since you say you're new to this; don't just go and start editing your Group Policies trying to get this to work. Make a copy of your existing policy, attach that to a test OU and then put the computer you want to test against in that OU. You can then start making changes to the copy of policy to test whether this works without risk of unexpectedly breaking the workstations across your organisation with the changes you're making.

Edit:- you might also need to change Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> DNS Client -> Turn off multicast name resolution to disabled or not configured.
Hi, thanks for the info, is the correct place - Group Policy Management”? I can see what policies are applied to where.

When I try look for the section for wireless network in the group policy - “ Local group policy editor” it comes up with computer configuration and user configuration.

But I can’t seem to find the group policy.

Thanks for the help.

I’ve only ever applied local policies as tests in the past

Soldato
Yes you need to use the Group Policy Management Console (installed on a workstation via RSAT, or installed by default on a Domain Controller) to view the domains Group Policy objects.

I don't believe the Wireless Network section is available in the Local Group Policy Editor, but the DNS client setting should be.

But in terms of using local GPOs for testing in an AD environment you should read up on how Group Policy precedence works, because local GPOs are the lowest level of precedence and will be superseded if the same policy is set in your domain GPOs and is being applied to your test machine.

Back
Top Bottom