changing mobo with oem windows

D13

D13

Associate
Hi there

My mobo is dreadful and I would like to change it, but as I understand it my oem copy of vista is tied to the mobo.

Is there any way around this?

many thx in advance

Soldato
This forum is only interested in the legallity of your request.

The OEM license allows you to upgrade/update any hardware inside your machine with the exception of the motherboard.
If your motherboard fails and you are sent a different unit under warranty then this is fine, however if your motherboard fails and you simply buy a new one then again you are no longer license legal.

Associate
This forum is only interested in the legallity of your request.

The OEM license allows you to upgrade/update any hardware inside your machine with the exception of the motherboard.
If your motherboard fails and you are sent a different unit under warranty then this is fine, however if your motherboard fails and you simply buy a new one then again you are no longer license legal.

What happens if his mobo packs up and he built his own system? wouldn't that make him the system builder and allow him to change his own mobo and reinstall OEM Vista on the new mobo.

Associate
What happens if his mobo packs up and he built his own system? wouldn't that make him the system builder and allow him to change his own mobo and reinstall OEM Vista on the new mobo.

I believe if this is the case the motherboard should be replaced with the same motherboard or one similar and the re-activation (call to Microsoft) will have to be done

I've been told this by a friend but I'm not sure myself :S

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom