Changing RAM speed help

Associate
I recently built a gaming PC, I’m running Ryzen 7800, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk with Corsair vengeance DDR5-6400.

Everything worked fine but I wanted to use the quicker speeds on the RAM or what was the point in buying it so I changed it in BIOS to enable A-XMP. When I did this my boot time took about 2 minutes to boot up. Everything worked fine, great fps in games etc but every time I boot up my screen stays black and nothing happens for about 2 minutes. I have no idea what to change to get the boot time back to 10/20 seconds. Any ideas?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Unfortunately this is pretty common with AM5, I'd have a look at memory context restore, though I don't think everyone has a happy experience with it.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately this is pretty common with AM5, I'd have a look at memory context restore, though I don't think everyone has a happy experience with it.
Is it worth trying the pre set speed options rather than A-XMP? So. Try 6000 rather than max or is it the same on all speed increases and best to stick at 4800?

Man of Honour
Is it worth trying the pre set speed options rather than A-XMP? So. Try 6000 rather than max or is it the same on all speed increases and best to stick at 4800?
Setting a manual frequency without XMP, you mean? That is very unlikely to work because XMP changes more than just the memory frequency and DRAM voltage, but XMP enabled together with a manual frequency might work.

Associate
OP
Setting a manual frequency without XMP, you mean? That is very unlikely to work because XMP changes more than just the memory frequency and DRAM voltage, but XMP enabled together with a manual frequency might work.
I’m sure I saw preset speed options when looking through. But as you said i was under the impression XMP changes all relevant settings just a lazy easy way to do it so I’m baffled why it doesn’t work

Man of Honour
I’m sure I saw preset speed options when looking through. But as you said i was under the impression XMP changes all relevant settings just a lazy easy way to do it so I’m baffled why it doesn’t work
I don't know the technical details, but my understanding is that when you enable XMP or EXPO it has to do a more extensive evaluation of the speed and timings to ensure that it can operate properly, which is why it takes much longer to boot.

The idea of memory context restore is that it saves the results of this process, so that it doesn't have to repeat it every time.

Some users have found that memory context restore makes their PC unstable and they have to disable it, but I don't know if later BIOS updates have resolved this problem.

If you have multiple XMP profiles, those are read from your memory and should be safe to use.

The profiles on the motherboard, it depends on what they do. If they ONLY set the memory frequency, your PC will almost certainly be unstable and prone to BSODs and file corruption.

Associate
OP
I don't know the technical details, but my understanding is that when you enable XMP or EXPO it has to do a more extensive evaluation of the speed and timings to ensure that it can operate properly, which is why it takes much longer to boot.

The idea of memory context restore is that it saves the results of this process, so that it doesn't have to repeat it every time.

Some users have found that memory context restore makes their PC unstable and they have to disable it, but I don't know if later BIOS updates have resolved this problem.

If you have multiple XMP profiles, those are read from your memory and should be safe to use.

The profiles on the motherboard, it depends on what they do. If they ONLY set the memory frequency, your PC will almost certainly be unstable and prone to BSODs and file corruption.
Thanks for the help.

I’m gonna try enabling XMP and seeing if I can reduce speed to 6000 rather than 6400 with MCR on and see if that makes a difference. I don’t mind 20-30 second boot times but 2 minutes+ is ridiculous

Soldato
That's a good point... Just because the board is brand new it doesn't mean the board hasn't been sat in a warehouse for X amount of time.

So there may well be a more up to date Bios available.

I'm not a huge advocate of constantly updating the Bios every time a new iteration is released, but in circumstances like this (new board) I think it's worthwhile. *

*it's also worth reading though the update notes (if available) for the various newer bioses since your version.. I'd look for any mention improvements to memory stability xmp/expo etc. Then I'd say it's well worth a BIOS update

Back
Top Bottom