Charity adverts

Associate
Is anyone else getting sick of all the charity appeals or adverts on the TV these days?
I mean I don't want to come across as uncaring but haven't you noticed that there seems to be an awful lot of them now.
The skeptic in me feels some of them may be a scam. How much if any goes to the people in need and not to pay charity workers wages?

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting sick of all the charity appeals or adverts on the TV these days?
I mean I don't want to come across as uncaring but haven't you noticed that there seems to be an awful lot of them now.
The skeptic in me feels some of them may be a scam. How much if any goes to the people in need and not to pay charity workers wages?

Just £32/month will allow a family to subscribe to Sky Q and so be able to skip the adverts... :p

It's worse during the day. It's either donkey sanctuaries in Azerbaijan or the are you old? Thinking of dying soon? Then get this insurance quick before you leave your relatives destitute.

Both of those are still better than the gambling adverts which seem to be every other ad. No idea how it's still legal! Cigarette ads were banned a long time ago, and arguably gambling can be as damaging - if not more so!

Last edited:
Buy this limited edition coin only 4999 made. Does the order price go up if they make more?
The weird thing to me on those, is when they say "any that dont get sold will be melted down and made into a more rare coin"

Soooo...its actually better if I dont buy one then, so that I can get a more rare one??

They really ramp them up in the run up to Christmas.

The one with the deaf dumb child has been repeated for so long he's gotta be near retirement age.

Just £32/month will allow a family to subscribe to Sky Q and so be able to skip the adverts... :p

Both of those are still better than the gambling adverts which seem to be every other ad. No idea how it's still legal! Cigarette ads were banned a long time ago, and arguably gambling can be as damaging - if not more so!

Yeah gambling ads need to go.
There's no other thing you can really lose so much money so quickly.
Like you could win the lottery and lose it all in a day gambling.

The coin ones aren't charity adverts?

To be fair, running a charity is bloody hard work and they need to attract skilled people to do so - I don't have any issue with them paying money to charity directors if they are doing a good job.

Unfortunately scummy people like Naomi Campbell who were using charity funds to pay for luxury hotels, spa treatments, cigarettes etc do a lot of damage to the perception of charities.

I always give money to small local charities when I can, most animal charities but occasionally human related ones but less often usually.

I figure that if a charity is big enough to be able to afford adverts on multiple TV channels then they don't need my money, hence going to much smaller ones.

My issues with charities:

Ineffective: They have been advertising for the same causes my whole life. If they were effective they might have made some progress in solving those causes. Their still-existing is evidence that giving them money is a waste of money. See: effective altruism

Cruel: If I went up to a stranger and showed them pictures of starving children, "hi look at this starving kid, it's super sad, look, look". I'd expect to get arrested for causing emotional distress. People are responsible for their behaviour, charity behaviour is appalling. Don't get me started on Samaritans, "we know suicide is contagious so here's our ad about suicide, now you need us, so here's our number", yuck.

Douches: They are too pushy. They keep putting junk mail through my door. Vast quantities of paper and plastic bags for clothes collections. Junk mail should be banned in general of course, but the plastic stuff is not cricket. They hassle me outside and inside the supermarket entrance. I just want to do my shopping, leave me alone!

Taxation: Usually a charity's cause is something that should be funded from general taxation. E.g. the air ambulance, it's vital healthcare, so tax should pay for it. Doing it via charity is the wrong way of paying for it.

Last edited:
If you do sign up to one of these charities to donate the “just £2 a month” mentioned in the advertisement, you get more bombardment from this charity asking for more.

My late grandmother did have various direct debits for charities. When she died, it took much effort for some charities to stop mail as the direct debits were cancelled.

A while ago I posted a kind of similar thread moaning about todays adverts....you're gonna die adverts, begging adverts.....I received a on the whole a hostile response, was told it was down to the tv programmes I watched due to my age lol! Even though I watched mtv quite a lot at the time. Anyway, I digress, yep adverts are full of this sort of thing and it's depressing. I think raising awareness for these causes is good but it's gone too far. I rarely watch tv nowadays anyway. I've donated every month for years a small amount to 3 animal charities, the tv ads are nothing to do with this, they just make me depressed.

Does it annoy you because you already contribute to a charity(s)?

I'm just joking - I know the answer.

Back
Top Bottom