Charlie Gard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I can only imagine that there is some issue with the legality (or possibly logistics - short shelf life from formulation) of importing such medication.

Also, it could be that in addition to the medication itself, that there is a reliance on a piece of expensive equipment, either to assist the treatment, or to verify results.
(i.e. an MRI machine costs millions, and I can't see how the NHS would fund the use of one, to verify/assist with a treatment which they were unable/unwilling to sign off on and provide in the first place)

*started trying to compare US private system to NHS, before realising I really don't know enough about either system to draw any conclusion*

Edit: just seen the bit about the brain damage, in which case, the parents need to take the docs advice, rather than spend 1.2 million on some hail mary pass which, at best, will leave them with pretty much a vegetable

Last edited:

beh

beh

Associate
Have you read (linked from the bbc article) - https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/gard-press-summary-20170411.pdf ?
At one stage GOSH got as far as deciding to apply for ethical permission to attempt nucleoside therapy, a treatment that has never been used on patients with this form of MDDS. But by the time that decision had been made, Charlie’s condition had greatly worsened and the view of all here was that his epileptic encephalopathy was such that his brain damage was severe and irreversible, that treatment was potentially painful but incapable of achieving anything positive for him

Permabanned
It's sad but parents have to stop at some point.

The last people who want to admit defeat are doctors. It's wrong to villify the people who are trying to save your child, and when multiple are saying you are wrong, you need to check yourself, not go to the papers.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Followed this case for a while, its very sad but certainly seems to be more for what the parents want rather than what is right for the child.

Associate
Heart breaking story. Hard to know the right thing to do. But for me even a chance is enough. I find it contradictory that our justice system can issue this ruling, yet continue to deny terminally ill patients with chronic pain of their right to die at a time of their choosing.

Soldato
OP
You do hear about patients undergoing a Miracle and I imagine this is what they are clinging on to. Impossible to let go, heartbreaking for all involved.

Soldato
I find it absolutely incredible that they managed to get a gofundme page up to close to 1.3M for what is a completely hopeless cause.
It is an amazing amount of fundraising, but there isn't a tablet currently in this world that will switch on a defective gene in every cell in the child's body.
Great that someone chap in America fancied $1.5M dollars to 'test' on a child, the court's decision was in the best interests of the child, it isn't in his interests to be flown on life support to the US, to die there.

Caporegime
Heart breaking story. Hard to know the right thing to do. But for me even a chance is enough. I find it contradictory that our justice system can issue this ruling, yet continue to deny terminally ill patients with chronic pain of their right to die at a time of their choosing.

One situation: Practically brain dead infant suffering for years with no known cure and no future.

Other situation: Rationally deciding to commit suicide at an age of responsibility by someone else who has no desire to commit murder, a good example being vets having to kill animals... a lot of them can't take that sort of mental abuse.

Caporegime
I find it absolutely incredible that they managed to get a gofundme page up to close to 1.3M for what is a completely hopeless cause.
It is an amazing amount of fundraising, but there isn't a tablet currently in this world that will switch on a defective gene in every cell in the child's body.
Great that someone chap in America fancied $1.5M dollars to 'test' on a child, the court's decision was in the best interests of the child, it isn't in his interests to be flown on life support to the US, to die there.
People lose their minds when it comes to kids though and struggle to think rationally.

Soldato
People lose their minds when it comes to kids though and struggle to think rationally.

Indeed they do. As would you if your child was in the same position im sure. Its horrific for the parents and its horrific for the poor child. There is no "good" outcome here :(

Caporegime
Indeed they do. As would you if your child was in the same position im sure. Its horrific for the parents and its horrific for the poor child. There is no "good" outcome here :(

But it's not the parents who have donated that money, it's other people. Essentially they're throwing it away because that treatment will not work. There are other good and useful causes that money could help.

Soldato
It sounded to me like they just hoped for a small increase in his quality of life and, possibly more so, to help with the advancement of the treatment such that others may benefit. Like a legacy their son can leave for others.

They seem pretty rational to me.

Caporegime
It sounded to me like they just hoped for a small increase in his quality of life and, possibly more so, to help with the advancement of the treatment such that others may benefit. Like a legacy their son can leave for others.

They seem pretty rational to me.
There's no medical evidence that this treatment works in the slightest. There's as much evidence for it as there is saying 'dancing round the child whilst singing kum ba ya' will offer any small increase to his quality of life. The damage has already been done. It cannot be turned back.

Soldato
But it's not the parents who have donated that money, it's other people. Essentially they're throwing it away because that treatment will not work. There are other good and useful causes that money could help.

Ah yep, i agree. This case has had a lot of media attention and as you say, people do lose their minds when it comes to kids thus all the donations. I certainly know this story has made me stop and think more now as a parent than i probably would have before.

Soldato
I'm a little perturbed that the parents weren't eligible for legal aid in a case where they are challenging their child's right to life-sustaining treatment. That's regardless of the rights and wrongs of the case (I tend to agree with the ruling, on the information given).

That doesn't sit well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom