Cheap-ish hand-held stabilized video camera?

Soldato
Hey guys, been out of the loop for a while (helped me cure my GAS) so I'm not fully up to date on what's out there. Looking to document a few bits/trips here and there and wondering if there's any real options out there for say less than £400 (ideally less, of course) for a 1080p, stabilised camera?

I have a D800 setup at the moment but that's wayyyy too heavy to be particularly stable handheld, and I don't really have anything wide enough for day to day shooting anyway.

At the moment I'm thinking either a used NEX5R and the 16-50 pancake, or Hero 5 Session, but open to other suggestions if there's anything else. Is there an RX100 that fits the bill? I remember people liking those when I left there but also remember them basically doubling in RRP every generation.

I'd imagine Sony's most recent ILC offerings are too expensive, did those mini Canikon Nikon1/EOS-M systems ever turn into anything? M4/3s?

Quality matters a decent amount but it's really not the priority over size and stabilization - tbh if it didn't have such a pitiful amount of storage (about 7Gb after the OS) I'd have been happy using my old Lumia 925.

Soldato
OP
Hmm that's a decent shout. GoPro's own Karma grip/gimbal setup is definitely too expensive for now, are there any go-to cheaper options that work well? The compatibility is always kind of confusing to me and the cheaper/generic counterweight systems don't seem to get reviewed too well (not to mention they lose the actioncam advantage of size over, say, a NEX5R+Pancake

And yeah it's purely about video - I have no problem taking my DSLR setup with me whenever I want stills it's just that turning the D800 into a remotely versatile video setup would involve much more money and would be super bulky on top

Back
Top Bottom