Cheap mirrorless camera with impossible spec

Man of Honour
My youngest boy loves photography. He has an old Fuji X10 which was perfect for him until he recently wanted to do some long exposures to photograph the aurora borealis, which the X10 is incapable of. He was absolutely gutted and his reaction really highlighted how much he loves photography, so I’m trying to find him an upgrade which doesn’t break the bank, ideally around £300-350. I don’t want to spend much more because it’s likely to get damaged and need replacement at some point. The X10 is bulletproof and has many battle scars but still works, surprisingly!

I’ve been looking at mirrorless cameras, mainly due to size. He’s 9 so it needs to be comfortable to hold and not too heavy. I previously had a Fuji X-T200 which he loved so that was my first thought, especially as it would mean we could share lenses. I sold mine for £300 a while ago. Now the cheapest I can find a body for is £400+. Add to that £100-120 for a 15-45 kit lens and it’s above budget.

His spec list :cry:
  • Fully articulating screen
  • Touchscreen
  • A nice shutter sound
  • Easy to hold
  • Not too heavy
  • Quick and accurate autofocus
  • Able to take knocks and drops reasonably well
  • Full manual control
  • Hot shoe for external flash
  • Jack for external mic (not essential but nice to have)

So yeah, he doesn’t want much…

We went to LCE today and they had a Canon EOS M50 Mk.II which seems to tick all the boxes except for them wanting £500 for it. I’ve had a look on Faceache marketplace and they seem to go for £300-350 there which is within budget. My only reservation with it (as a Fuji user) was the need to interact with some critical settings via the touchscreen. E.g. if shooting in M, the aperture had to be adjusted via the screen. Shooting in Av or Tv was less of a problem as the wheel at the front could be used to make the necessary adjustments. I also thought the menu system and available settings was a bit too dumbed down. Anyway, he liked it but we walked away because of the price.

I also looked at M43 options and the only one I can see that fits the criteria is the Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk. II/III. I know very little about these and it’s not as easy to find one to have a play with.

Are there any other options I am overlooking?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
It’s an X10 he has, not an X-S10. That’s mine. :D

Soldato
My youngest boy loves photography. He has an old Fuji X10 which was perfect for him until he recently wanted to do some long exposures to photograph the aurora borealis.

I also looked at M43 options and the only one I can see that fits the criteria is the Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk. II/III. I know very little about these and it’s not as easy to find one to have a play with.
Assuming your location information is up to date, there won't be any photography of auroras soon...
Dark time is starting to get short even here in SE Finland.

E-M5 has good amount of external controls (also E-M10 has lto for size) and should be comfortable size for smaller person's hand.

Automatic exposure and possible exposure compensation adjustment actually works quite well, but live bulb/time/composite features of Olympus would also work well.

Soldato
Something like a used fujifilm x-a5 would probably fot the budget. It doesn't have a viewfinder but it can do bulb mode for long exposure.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Assuming your location information is up to date, there won't be any photography of auroras soon...
Dark time is starting to get short even here in SE Finland.

E-M5 has good amount of external controls (also E-M10 has lto for size) and should be comfortable size for smaller person's hand.

Automatic exposure and possible exposure compensation adjustment actually works quite well, but live bulb/time/composite features of Olympus would also work well.
Yes, the ship has sailed on aurora photography, but the idea of a new camera has not. He reminds me daily! No niin. You mention exposure compensation adjustment. The more I think about it, the exposure compensation dial on his current camera is really important to him. He uses it a lot. I think this probably rules out the Canon.

Something like a used fujifilm x-a5 would probably fot the budget. It doesn't have a viewfinder but it can do bulb mode for long exposure.
That’s a really good shout. I’m not sure why these never crossed my mind but it ticks a lot of boxes. Finding a decent used one for a sensible price looks troublesome though. I’m guessing they didn’t sell so well.

Soldato
Have you looked at the Panasonic G* ranges, such as a G80 / G85 with added benefit of being M4/3 and it doesnt have the awful Olympus menu system.
Seems to tick everyone of your above boxes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, the ship has sailed on aurora photography, but the idea of a new camera has not. He reminds me daily! No niin. You mention exposure compensation adjustment. The more I think about it, the exposure compensation dial on his current camera is really important to him. He uses it a lot. I think this probably rules out the Canon.
Lots of things to photograph when ever winter ends and spring finally starts.
Also lot nicer when fingers aren't instant freezing without thick gloves...
Exposure compensation is excellent way to correct automatic mode underexposing bright scene like that snow.

Fortunately I chose Minolta Dimage 7i as my first camera in 2003 instead of Canon Powershot G-model.
More direct external controls and live exposure preview of electronic viewfinder made controlling exposure easy and Dimage A2 was peak of those cameras... Before high end fixed lens cameras were killed to make room for worser ergonomics and less controls entry level (D)SLRs.
Though now so called 1" sensor using cameras would again offer something similar...
In equally not pocketable package, but still lighter than system camera with lenses covering the same range.

Second hand system cameras shops have usually don't come with lens.
If video recording interests, Panasonic G80 would better on that than Olympus E-M5 II.
Only Mk IIIs of E-M5/10 got modern video.

Back
Top Bottom