Cheap, small soundbar?

Soldato
My dad has a Sky Q box hooked up to his monitor (Dell S2419H). Speakers are ok for other content, but the Q box is quiet compared to the other stuff. He was looking at cheap soundbars just for the Sky Q, so may as well sort it for Christmas.

He was just looking at the various cheap 2.0 mini/compact bars that currys etc sell. Can budget up to about £100 and bar needs to be on the smaller side (60cm ish). Anything to look at around that price? or all much the same and just check the user reviews and see what fits? Only needs to beat the monitor speakers which he was happy with, just not loud enough with sky q.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
There's a long-running thread on the Sky Q forums where most folk are complaining that the audio out volume is low. https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-Low-Sound-Output/td-p/2940425 One or two contributors say that the volume is fine, and they blame external devices such as TVs and sound systems. My gut feeling is that so many people can't have bad TVs or set up their gear incorrectly. You know the saying; there's no smoke without fire.

I think you're going to have to buy and try. The JVC TH-D329B @ £54.95 would be my first pick, but that's for no better reason than it looks compact and has both optical and coaxial inputs. (The HDMI is for ARC use only, so that's of no benefit where the display doesn't have ARC too.)

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd give this a bump to say it's definitely the SkyQ that's at fault with volume levels.

I did go with the TH-D329B in the end, had it setup and running for him for about a week now and it's fine. Decent enough for £50, nothing outstanding, but better than the inbuilt speakers. Build quality etc seems fine, nice enough remote.

More than loud enough for SkyQ, but the Q box definitely has a lower output than other stuff. Bar is hooked up to box pc and SkyQ, needs to be at 25-30 when on Sky, but only 10-15 for pc content.

Man of Honour
I'm glad it all worked out. Sorry that Sky Q's volume sucks, but at least you know that it's like that for a lot of people and not something you're doing wrong. The main thing is your dad is happy. :)

Anyway, you can send the “Thank You” cheque to.....;) :D :D :D

Man of Honour
Watching TV on a 24" 1080p screen?

I'd have spent the cash on a bigger screen instead

Really? And what bigger screen would you have bought new for £55?

It may have escaped your attention too, but most TVs are thin and have little room for decent speakers. So even after buying this mythical £55 "bigger screen", you'd still need a sound bar.

I don't know if you're genuinely out of touch with reality or simply making a poor attempt at being a WUM?

Back
Top Bottom