Cheap upgrade time (max £300)

Associate
OP
I've noticed that basically every single recommendation in 'spec me' threads is Ryzen-based.

How much of an increase in performance would I get over my current i5 2550k system, if I went down one of the cheaper Ryzen paths? Paired with a 1060 or any of the other cards recommended in this thread so far?

Soldato
How do they compare to a 6gb 1060, bearing in mind the age of my other components?
Overall not quite as fast as the 1060 (roughly 10% less) but they can sometimes be faster.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_570_and_580_mech_2_8g_oc_review,11.html

Surprisingly quick for the price.
I've noticed that basically every single recommendation in 'spec me' threads is Ryzen-based.

How much of an increase in performance would I get over my current i5 2550k system, if I went down one of the cheaper Ryzen paths? Paired with a 1060 or any of the other cards recommended in this thread so far?
I wouldnt get a lower end one in your shoes. Not coming from a sturdy I5. The 2600 is at a really good price at 140. It's a good upgrade and really all the processor youll need right now.

Associate
OP
Hmm OK. So say with my budget of around £400, I decided to go for a 'proper' upgrade (instead of just GFX and SSD, as initially planned... ffs :rolleyes::D), and got a Ryzen 2600, mobo and RAM, and found a good deal on a second hand 1060, would the performance increase be worth it and futureproof? Basically, am I going to get the same bang for buck my current setup has provided for over 6 years?

If I was to go down the full upgrade route, I could sell my 1155 setup (cpu, mobo and ram) and 670ftw. How much do you reckon that bundle could go for? I could obviously reinvest that into the upgrade.

Soldato
I've seen 6GB 1060s going for between 150-170
I though you meant you already had one in mind, I'd still go with the RX580 8GB and sell off one of the games if you don't want it, AC:O is going for £35-40, and it opens up the Freesync option for you, and there is like a 0.5% difference on average between a GTX 1060 6GB and an RX 580 8GB.

Associate
OP
Don't forget I've got a Micro ATX case with less than ideal ventilation, so power efficiency, temps and most importantly, physical dimensions are big factors I need to consider. These are all qualities the 1060 possess over the rx 580 (I think?)

Soldato
Mic
Don't forget I've got a Micro ATX case with less than ideal ventilation, so power efficiency, temps and most importantly, physical dimensions are big factors I need to consider. These are all qualities the 1060 possess over the rx 580 (I think?)

Micro ATX, not Mini-ITX right? I mean the Mrs. runs an RX480 reference (hot as hell) card in her Mini-ITX gaming system, it's not an issue at all. I could even get it running almost-silently for her if I bothered to under-volt it a bit, but meh. Which case do you have, does it have terrible airflow or something? :)

Here's a link to a very recent comparison review for you to read.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-10-22-geforce-gtx-1060-vs-rx-580-7001

Soldato
Cooltek U3 Micro ATX with a single 120mm rear extractor fan. It's a high quality, really smart little case (I imported it from Germany about 4 years ago)

Well the Powecolor card will just fit at 255mm long, your case will take up to 260mm. It's a coin toss though tbh, if you don't see yourself ever taking advantage of Freesync then either will do fine, obviously with the adaptive sync, your system could technically last longer before being upgraded. :)

Soldato
What's Freesync?

I'm happy with 1080p on my AOC 27in monitor

G-sync and Freesync and adaptive refresh rate technologies, the monitor and graphics card work in tandem so the refresh rate and the FPS are the same to reduce screen tearing and make things look and feel smoother in a much more consistent fashion. It's good in a situation where you get frequent drops in frame rate due to certain sections of a game being harder for graphics card to handle at the settings you are running. Sorry about the poor explanation my brain is still sleeping. :(

Associate
OP
Hmm, sounds like something interesting, but for the future. Like I said, more than happy with my current display. Plus it sounds expensive and this upgrade is getting bigger and bigger as it is :D

Soldato
I've just found a Gigabyte AB350N motherboard going for 50 on facebook. Anyone know anything about it? It's going for over 100 new

not a bad itx board, one of the cheaper itx along with ASRock version . slap in 3000hz ram kit and should be fine. using with 1600/2600 chips will be fine, if slapping in 1700 then dont push the OC to hard for VRMs

Associate
OP
Blimey, Mini ITX! Would make my Micro ATX case seem cavernous :D

If I did go down the Ryzen upgrade route I'd want to go for one of the better CPUs to make it worth it. i5 2550K is still fine afterall. This upgrade is just for future proofing.

Back
Top Bottom