Cheaper ways to watch Sky TV?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
You'll be default get 50% off almost immediately after you call appearing on your account (login at my.sky.com) ... otherwise wait until a week after it actually ends and they will call. Without fail we got a call only a couple of days after, he went straight to 60% but wouldn't budge on HD sub.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
The discount will be for the TV only. I think you have to negotiate separately for the broadband/phone.

For me, I cancelled TV (get offered the discount which I didn't take this time around) and moved BB provider to get a much cheaper rate and topcashback. Rinse and repeat each time.

Caporegime
think ive just ballssed it up, cancelled my tv but we've left it to me to cancel my tv and phone.

do you even need a phone line?

i havene't had a house phone in about 10 years. it's just a waste of money. don't need to deal with cold callers, etc.

people can contact me through mobile, whatsapp, email, etc.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
do you even need a phone line?

i havene't had a house phone in about 10 years. it's just a waste of money. don't need to deal with cold callers, etc.

people can contact me through mobile, whatsapp, email, etc.

i'm self employed so yes I do on that. otherwise i very much see your point!

Associate
When i came up for reneal and my discount ended i just said that I need to cut down my bills and the person on the phone 'spoke to her manager' and gave me this

Box Sets with Sports HD £71.50
Viewing Subscription Discounted - £26.20
Total £45.30

Sky Fibre Unlimited £20.00
Broadband Subscription Discounted - £8.99
Total £11.01

Sky Talk Line Rental £17.40
Sky Talk Line Rental Discounted - £7.41
Total £9.99

Total £66.30

Soldato
I didnt really look into it much as I`m not bothered about Sky but when I walked into Sainsburys today there was a sign for Sky Q full package inc Sports and Movies for £35 a month. I think it was for whoever has the mobile phone concession in Sainsburys if that helps anyone or maybe its the Tech dept. It was a big Sainsburys.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
OK So I had a phone call last week, a lady rang from Sky and offered me 50 percent off, I didn't accept and she said that their rates are changing all the time so would i like someone to call me next (being this) week and I said yes, so hopefully I'll get a phone call to be offered 60 percent off, I can't see what else they could offer me anyway.

But I want to leave Sky phone and line rental now and rejoin BT, reason being is that when I moved house in September to an area with a different telephone exchange, I wasn't able to keep my old phone number and had to have a new one, I was with Sky at this time.

If I was with BT I'd have been able to keep the phone number even though I'd moved to a different exchange location. So if I join BT now and have them take control of my number, if I move house again at least I can keep my phone number which is really important to me being that I use it for business.

So long and short of it, I think I'm going to have BT Phone and Line rental, and BT Broadband (or I could keep Sky as I think their broadband prices are cheaper - need to research this), but Sky TV if they offer me 60 percent off.

edit - I was wrong about the phone number, I wouldnt be able to keep it with it if it was a different exchange.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get a cheap mobile phone and a low cost sim only contract (can be as low as £5 a month) and move your customers to that number.

Or if you want the appearance of a landline there are loads of companies which can provide a new number and call forwarding.

To keep broadband at reasonable prices you need to have the freedom to leave at the end of every contract.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Received an email for 60 percent off tonight on my TV for 12 months.

Oh it's actually worded as "60 percent off any TV bundle." So maybe not 60 % off the whole lot.

Soldato

Oh it's actually worded as "60 percent off any TV bundle." So maybe not 60 % off the whole lot.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way last time. The discount was for the bundle, but not the HD pack on top.

I've switched to BT TV now (box arrives Monday) and I'll use NowTV for Sky-specific stuff.

Soldato

Thats right, they won't offer you 60% off phone line and broadband.

Just take the TV if it represents decent value to you and shop elsewhere for your internet. I've just moved to EE 76mg Fibre for £32.50 p/m, got £137.50 cashback through quidco and a 5gb data boost on my phone so works out at about £25p/m, by comparison BT is too expensive and Sky are not giving anything else over the phone line and fibre.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
This is a bit weird, just looking at my latest bill (for this month) and it looks like a heavy discount has already been applied - even though I have not agreed to any offers which have been offered to me in recent days by Sky representatives.

For instance, my latest bill shows :

22 Mar - 21 Apr

A month in advance

Variety with Sports HD £23.06
until 31 Mar (10 days)
Sky Multiscreen £3.87
until 31 Mar (10 days)
Sky Go Extra - FREE
until 31 Mar (10 days)

Sky Talk Line Rental £18.99
Voicemail Plus £2.50
Sky Talk Anytime Extra £8.00

Total £76.42

My bill for the previous month was

22 Feb - 21 Mar

A month in advance

Sky Go Extra - FREE
Sky Multiscreen £12.00
Variety with Sports HD £71.50

Sky Talk Line Rental £17.40
Voicemail Plus £2.50
Sky Talk Anytime Extra £8.00

Total £131.40

WTH gives?

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Just rang Sky,

Been offered 60 percent off TV and 50 percent off Line Rental and Broadband for 12 months bringing my total to £78 for the month for 12 months with a minimum 12 month contract.

Not bad.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all your advice guys, saved me a fair whack of money. Gone from paying £130 for Sky TV, Variety, Sports, HD, Multiroom, Fibre Broadband, Line Rental, Sky Talk anytime, Voicemail Plus to paying £70 for the whole lot for 12 months. Brilliant, chuffed :D

Back
Top Bottom