Cheapest realistic option to tow approx 1700kg of horse and trailer

Associate
OP
Been looking since 2016, wow!
Haha, not exactly, I made do with my old Mondeo as it kept going. I borrowed or hired transport for the horse and we have a small tractor for the work we do on our land.

... so - no significant bills over 2 years and 'X' K miles, at 'Y' mpg ?
I've only had it a couple of months, it came with 12 months MOT and a good service + MOT history. All the signs were good, it had just been serviced with genuine parts used and came with 4x decent brand tyres etc, everything works. The only thing picked up on the last MOT was some wear in the lower ball joints.

I figured as it was £4k, even if it lasted me the year I could keep it as a field/off road only tool, the cost of a lease would be nearly twice what i paid and that's for only one year of driving. It averages just over 25mpg but I do quite a lot of urban driving in it.

Caporegime
I’ve heard of taking your time looking for a car but that takes some beating! :D

Good choice though,I know a mate who tows a twin axle horse box, he’s got the 5.0L V10, it and the three litre both make great tow cars.

One thing to be aware of is that the towbar needs to be factory fitted otherwise the stability system doesn't work when towing. The software can't be retro updated afaik.

Associate
OP
Did another equine towing mission recently (340 mile round trip), 1/2 of which was transporting these little beauties. The car has been a godsend, in only a few months of ownership, for it's versatility and I'll almost definitely be looking for a newer one to replace it when that time comes.

60652841_10157237961092889_88589052009250816_o.jpg

60473917_10157226652112889_3207351241575235584_o.jpg

Associate
Good choice with the Touareg, the 3.0TDi is a great engine, and they are well specked. I've not driven one, only been a passenger, but a very comfortable ride too.

Now for the OcUK response that I'm surprised wasn't mentioned: Couldn't you just use the horse to tow the trailer?!

Associate
OP
Just had to replace the centre prop bearing, couple of hours on the drive and £60 lighter for the actual part. Bought some oil + filter ready for February service as it was on offer, will inspect the
air/fuel filters then too. I had the wheels off today to rotate for tyre wear purposes, the brakes still look good all round.

Now for the OcUK response that I'm surprised wasn't mentioned: Couldn't you just use the horse to tow the trailer?!

He could pull it with a suitable harness but it'd be rather slow! :D

Associate
OP
Having an issue with the rear passenger door not opening from the outside, it appears to be the old VW cable/sticky latch problem. The heater blower is a bit squeaky but I plan to remove it and grease the bearings.
Nothing else problematic, touch wood. Nearly a year of ownership, so far it hasd been very good :)

Soldato
Having an issue with the rear passenger door not opening from the outside, it appears to be the old VW cable/sticky latch problem. The heater blower is a bit squeaky but I plan to remove it and grease the bearings.
Nothing else problematic, touch wood. Nearly a year of ownership, so far it hasd been very good :)
VW and door locks is just embarrassing the ongoing issues they have had with central locking for years would be funny if not so annoying!

Associate
OP
It sailed straight though the MOT test yesterday, with only an advisory regarding the N/S out CV boot starting to deteriorate. This car has been a bargain for the practicality and comfort level on offer.

Caporegime
It sailed straight though the MOT test yesterday, with only an advisory regarding the N/S out CV boot starting to deteriorate. This car has been a bargain for the practicality and comfort level on offer.
Good to hear, thanks for keeping the thread updated, my mates having a bit of a mare with his at the moment (it randomly unlocks the car and opens the windows usually at night when raining....) he’s still in love with it though despite its foibles.

Associate
OP
Good to hear, thanks for keeping the thread updated, my mates having a bit of a mare with his at the moment (it randomly unlocks the car and opens the windows usually at night when raining....) he’s still in love with it though despite its foibles.
I think there is a comfort or alarm module under either the driver or passenger seat/footwell area that is susceptible to water ingress, the problem will be something to do with the switching system on a total closure function. I think on some models you hold the lock/unlock to raise or lower the windows along with the locking function and this is the issue, the module thinks the button is being held down.

Oh, and no prob's updating the thread, if any info is helpful or interesting to others then great *thumbsup*

I'm averaging just over 27mpg, towing yields around 22mpg, best I've had was 34mpg on a trip to Brighton.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom