Cheapest water cooling possible?

Associate
Hey I'm completely new to water cooling so I thought this would be the best place to come for help.

I currently have a Bitfenix Shinobi and a LGA 1155 motherboard, so you know whats compaitble with my setup.

I plan on water cooling my processor only. If it's fairly cheap then I don't mind water cooling my 6850 sapphire as well.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
You also may want to consider a case change before going full custom, the regular Shinobi you have isn't great for WC, you'd probably have to rip out the hard drive rails just to get anything bigger then a 120.1 in. Even after mod a 240 is about the limit unfortunately.

6850 could be an awkward one to WC, not only are the FC blocks hard to find, they will also cost about 90% of a 6850...

This is a rough spec, based on a new case (will take 2 x 240 radiators without mods) and a cheap-ish WC kit to give you an idea of cost!

YOUR BASKET
1 x XSPC RayStorm 750 RS240 WaterCooling Kit £139.99
1 x Cooler Master CM-690 II Lite Windowed Gaming Tower Case - Black £69.98
Total : £224.08 (includes shipping : £11.75).

Associate
OP
Associate
Unless I'm wrong the 6850 run quite hot so I think you'd need a minimum of 240mm (preferably 360mm)

I used this set for my phenom 955 c2 (renowned nuclear reactors) at 4.1ghz stable.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-172-EK

Even at load I don't go above 48c :) I can fit it in a antec three hundred, so you'll be fine.

A lot of people reccomend the xspc kits with the better pumps. They are more expensive but definatly worth it.

In my opinion the EK DCP 4.0 is fine for running two blocks if you wanted to upgrade at a later point. Kit comes with more than enough tubing to do it.

My new build will be EKWB all over other than a Laing pump but ill be running a loop with multiple blocks(1cpu2gpu) and rads(2x360mm)

Associate
OP
Unless I'm wrong the 6850 run quite hot so I think you'd need a minimum of 240mm (preferably 360mm)

I used this set for my phenom 955 c2 (renowned nuclear reactors) at 4.1ghz stable.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-172-EK

Even at load I don't go above 48c :) I can fit it in a antec three hundred, so you'll be fine.

A lot of people reccomend the xspc kits with the better pumps. They are more expensive but definatly worth it.

In my opinion the EK DCP 4.0 is fine for running two blocks if you wanted to upgrade at a later point. Kit comes with more than enough tubing to do it.

My new build will be EKWB all over other than a Laing pump but ill be running a loop with multiple blocks(1cpu2gpu) and rads(2x360mm)

Sweet. I guess I can't get anything cheaper than 140 quid :(
I'll have to spend a bit extra if I REALLY need it.

tbh I don't need it because of the "temperatures", I'm quite happy with what I have now.
It's just I've never done water cooling before so it would be great to get some experience.

Soldato
If I was you, I'd leave the 6850 out of the loop until you decide to replace the GPU. For a full cover block you're going to be looking in the region of £70 for the GPU block alone unfortunately. Either that or look into universal core only blocks for the GPU, core only blocks start around £30, but as mentioned above if adding the GPU to the loop ideally you want more than 240 of radiator space.

Its tough to do on a budget so small (in WC terms) but not impossible. Used parts is the best option for doing it on the cheap, WC parts don't really hold a massive amount of used value.

Associate
Haha that was defiantly my first indication towards watercooling. I saw some pictures of people's rigs on here(omg water and electrics these people are insane) did some further reading and it very quickly changed to I WANT IT ALL NOW!!! since that kit purchase from the kind people at OCUK(haribos!!!) I've spent another £200 or so. It's a very slippery slope but it is o so fun:)

Nothing quite like the feeling of godliness when your first attempt doesn't leak:)

Soldato
Neither do I :D Was too busy mopping up fluid and blood to take pics :o

Mistakes happen, its part and parcel of WC building, just triple check everything before filling.

Associate
Complete agree with checking thrice.

I love using compression fittings a set of mole grips and some snub nose pliers really make sure they stay water tight. (Be careful)

It's not so much the tube side I found you have to worry about its the 1/4" fitting to the component that seems to work lose especially trying to twist a hose onto the barb properly.

Soldato
Eheim pond pump at auction
Car heatercore
second-hand block
garden hose for tubing.

Water-cooling can be as cheap as you care to make it but cheap gpu water-cooling is almost impossible unless you are prepared to get an all-purpose block and mod it.

Associate
same as everyone else....W/C dont come cheap you will get what you pay for the same with most things tech related...if you want cheap look at an Antec Khuler or other such "budget" W/C system.

Soldato
If you're on a tight budget, don't water cool.
If you have to ask these questions, like the one in the OP then you can't be serious about it anyway because if you were serious you would have researched.

If you are serious about water cooling you need to start by reading the sticky at the top of this forum, then do a lot of research. If after that you still want to go the W/C root, you need to budget £150+ minimum for the parts alone for a proper custom build. If including your graphics then you'll be looking at £250 minimum for a good build. You will also need a new case especially if you plan on adding your graphics card into the mix.

My advise is to research a lot more so you know what you want and need. Then save up & do it properly. By research I don't mean ask on forums, you need to read up for yourself so you fully understand it. Then if there is anything you are having trouble getting your head around you should ask on a forum. Without full understanding, you'll be left with a wet computer that doesn't work and no money left.

Just a quick example:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18450207

The OP in the post above has researched, he knows roughly what he wants, he has planned the loop etc, he is only posting to double check a few things. This is how you should go about it. It is very hard to give advise to someone who hasn't done any research or really know what they want. It looks as though you have just seen some pics of water cooling and thought "that looks cool, I might be able to do that really cheap, I'll ask and hope someone lists it all for me".

Last edited:
Soldato
My cpu only loop was around £100 initially - 24v pump and begged/borrowed/stolen radiator, with two gpu only blocks and some extra fittings to tidy up the in case looks I'm sitting at about £180-200

Research and some thought are the only way to get it done for low cost... buying everything off the shelf is easier but costs more

Back
Top Bottom