Cheapest way to pass test

Soldato
There isn't really a cheap way to do it, book your theory now and do it before anything else because without that, you can't do any training.

2-3 day das course if you think you'll be ok passing both tests first time.

I know that some motorbike instructors do all their training on a race track, you can do a 1 week crash course but again it's not cheap.

For a 3 day das you'll pay £500+ easily.

Soldato
There's 2 main ways to get your motorbike licence:

1. Do a ful DAS (Direct Access Scheme) course, get your theory passed 1st then do eveyrthing else (CBT, MOD1 and MOD2) over 5 days, this will cost you £700-£1000 depending where you are and which trainer you use.

2. Get your CBT done (£120), then buy a 125 all the riding gear you'd need anyway - £1500 for the 125 and £500 for the riding gear (roughly). Bear with me here... Spend 4-6 months riding the 125, commute on it, do as many miles as you can (4-5000 minimum), then you should only need a 3 day DAS course which will cost £500 or so. Then sell the 125 for maybe £100 less than you bought it for. overall cost is less than the full 5 day course.

I did the latter and after about 6k miles on my 125 I took a 3 half day course, mon/tue/wed with MOD1 on wednesday morning and MOD2 midday the same day. Passed 1st time with 2 minors on the MOD2.

If you want quick it's going to be more expensive than taking longer, there is no cheap way of passing your motorbike test now.

Associate
OP
Well that's sucks I've been riding for nearly 4 years now been meaning to get it done sooner but bought a house then when I save up again the misses got pregnant so priorities have shifted just wanna get a big bike now

Soldato
Then you shouldn't need too much training, just some of the bad habits working out.

The problem is you can't ride a 600cc bike on the road unless you're with an approved instructor and in radio contact with them, so you have to go through a training school. Best thing to do is ring round a few and tell them how much experience you've got, you'll still be looking at £4-500 minimum though. The tests cost £100 or so I think.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Depends if you use your own bike.

The tests themselves only cost £15.50 (mod 1) and £75.00 (mod 2) if booked direct with the DVSA, but most bike schools will add a premium for essentially hiring their bike which is why most cost between £100-300 depending on which test you're doing.

If you can get the bike to the test centre (on a trailer) then you could technically just book the test direct and cut costs.

I just did DAS and the costs were:

£90 CBT
£115 mod 1
£199 mod 2

Soldato
Depends how you take to it, I decided to go for pay as you go lessons, took to it very well. I only needed 3 lessons for Mod 1 which cost under £200 lesson cost (2hr lesson)

Mod 2 probs similar so looking at another four hours of lessons. Total cost including fees (theory, test fees) I've forcast to be about £600.

Or do an intensive course which going to cost upwards of a grand.

Soldato
Depends if you use your own bike.

The tests themselves only cost £15.50 (mod 1) and £75.00 (mod 2) if booked direct with the DVSA, but most bike schools will add a premium for essentially hiring their bike which is why most cost between £100-300 depending on which test you're doing.

If you can get the bike to the test centre (on a trailer) then you could technically just book the test direct and cut costs.

I just did DAS and the costs were:

£90 CBT
£115 mod 1
£199 mod 2

What about insurance on your own bike, who will cover that?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Mine is a 300cc trials bike so unfortunately not an option. I'd love to do the U turn and slow riding on a trials bike :D
I've heard you get bonus points if you wheelie through the cones in the avoidance ;)

Soldato
If it's your bike then won't you be insuring it anyway, to use? It's not really fair to count that as a specific test cost.

Most insurers will not touch you with your own bike on test with a bargepole and if they do they want a fortune. Pity because I really wanted to do it on my ninja

Associate
hiya, I just started my lessons and have my theory test tomorrow, not including cbt, its costing £618 for mod 1 and 2 tests, inc 4 3 hour lessons with hire of bike.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Riding isn't cheap, I saved up 5 grand for everything, by the time I was already on the road I had a few hundred left in my account from those savings. :(

Associate
awww had my mod 1booked today, been feeling nervous all week, get to the test centre and start to chill out, then get told its cancelled due to the wind >.<

gutted.

Associate
was meant to be on October 5th, due to my instructor going on holiday etc I cant get booked in till the 31st, my mod 2 was meant to be on the 27th so been pushed right back =(

Soldato
Bummer man. On the plus side, queues for these things should speed up now that the weather's getting a bit more gross and people start giving up on the idea. Patience is a virtue! :)

Back
Top Bottom