Cheapest XBMC Mini PC

Associate
I got a Raspberry Pi. No good. It won't play DVDs stored in .VOB format, and I have 400+ DVDs in .VOB.

So it will all be on eBay shortly and I'm back looking for other options. Any suggestions?

When you say it wont play them do you mean its stuttering or it does nothing when you try and play them? XBMC is perfectly capable of playing VOB files so it might just be a minor problem.

Associate
If you can wait, Pivos has a streamer which has recently been released (not in the UK) which XBMC are porting over to it. There's also the Ouya which is now out for pre-order which XBMC have said will have a port.

Associate
If you can wait, Pivos has a streamer which has recently been released (not in the UK) which XBMC are porting over to it. There's also the Ouya which is now out for pre-order which XBMC have said will have a port.

Have a google for the Sumvision Nano, other than slight differences in the paint job it is utterly identical to the Pivos and avaliable in the UK so I'm guessing either Sumvision have the rights to brand it over here or they are both just rebrands of a new generic Chinese model.

Associate
Mythbuntu on a normal computer? Loads of help stuff out there. Most modern stuff should just work.

Anything will require a bit of configuration though, no matter what you use.

Caporegime
OP
Thread revival. For my media PC I've decided to just keep with XBMC on W7. It works, why fix it.

However, having just spent a week away and taking a pile of DVDs with me I'm quite liking the idea of a tiny little device I can load up with my ripped DVDs and just plug into a TV. Something like those mini stick PCs running Android you just plug into the HDMI port.

So what is the best for that? I'm assuming xbmc still isn't perfect for Android so I might have to use other apps for playing my. VOB movies, but so long as it plays 1080p smoothly over HDMI I'll take anything.

When you say it wont play them do you mean its stuttering or it does nothing when you try and play them? XBMC is perfectly capable of playing VOB files so it might just be a minor problem.

VOBs are mpeg2 and the Pi won't play mpeg2 (it requires a license that the makers haven't paid for).

Caporegime
OP
Oh nice.

Although the Pi makes less sense when you need to add so much extra stuff to it. The cost soon adds up.

It does do 1080p sweet as a nut though....

Back
Top Bottom