Cheapest XBMC Mini PC

Caporegime
What options are there for a cheap machine to run XBMC. It doesn't need lots of storage or an optical drive, it will just be for streaming movies and videos to my HDTV, so the smaller and lower power consumption the better. It must, however, be very simple to setup. I don't have the skills or patient to start messing around in Linux to get WiFi and Audio drivers to work, so something that is the most plug and play possible would be best. It needs to do 1080p properly (I've heard murmurs of some 24p issues?) and 5.1 audio at least, preferably through the HDMI port.

In predicted ascending order of expense, I think my options are:

An Android Mini PC and wait for XBMC to be released for it
A Linux Mini PC and install either OpenELEC or XMBCbuntu
A pre built Media device that comes with an XBMC Linux build in it
A Windows (7) Mini PC with XBMC installed instead of WMC

The Windows device would be the easiest to setup, but its massively overkill and going to cost way more than the Linux options.

Ideally I would like either a cheap prebuilt box, or a combination of hardware I can build myself that is supported out of the box by OpenELEC or XBMCbuntu. An Android PC sounds OK, but I think controlling it with a remote will be a bit of a pain. Any suggestions?

Caporegime
OP
Fails the 'not needing to know linux to set it up' criteria though, doesn't it? Unless there is a Linux/XBMC build out there with all the drivers for R-Pi in it already that works out of the box?

There are also other devices with significantly more power for not much more cost.

That said, if there is a really simple R-Pi option then it would mean I could get 2...

Associate
Fails the 'not needing to know linux to set it up' criteria though, doesn't it? Unless there is a Linux/XBMC build out there with all the drivers for R-Pi in it already that works out of the box?

Raspmbc is the name of the build of XMBC on the raspberry Pi, should work straight out of the box, just put the image on an SD Card and away you go. Not tried it yet myself, getting my hands on my Pi Monday :)

Hawker

Caporegime
OP
In a few months the Android version of XBMC should be out, and Android Mini PCs are significantly more powerful than Raspberry Pi for not much more. They also have a case, built in Wifi, and an OS I am more comfortable with.

What other mini Linux PCs are there that do HD video for £50ish with a Raspbmc style 'out of the box' OS option?

Last edited:
Soldato
How about a WD TV Live, they can be had for a little over £50 and do streaming, iplayer, netflix and 1080p with 5.1 over hdmi

Personally I've got a Raspberry Pi and Apple MacMini both running XMBC, but I used to have a WDTV and it is a very simple media streamer.

Caporegime
OP
Raspberry Pi would be ideal if I didn't need WiFi. USB WiFi adapters are a can of Linux worms I'd rather not get into :(.

Does the WD TV Live play movies stored in Video_TS formats?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Having done some investigation into USB WiFi adapters it looks like any linux box that isn't a prebuilt unit with an XBMC build already on it is going to be a nightmare of console commands and sheer luck :(.

Caporegime
OP
Are there any Linux XBMC builds that come with plug and play support for certain WiFi adapters? Or any pre built media systems that come with WiFi inbuilt?

I've given XBMC on Android a go with an early build and it couldn't play SD content without stutter on my HTC Sensation, so I'm not feeling that optimistic for an Android solution at the moment :(

Or, failing all of that, any suggestions for a cheap Wireless N Ethernet Bridge?

Associate
TBH my experience of streaming over wireless (even N) is not good, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone, my powerlines are about 10x faster. I wouldnt invest in it, find another option.

Hawker

Associate
I have a Raspberry Pi and I have installed Raspbmc before they made a Windows installer. It's fairly straightforward really, especially now that there is a Windows installer to do it all for you.

I use a ethernet cable and stream from my nasbox. Raspbmc is constantly being improved and made to run faster and smoother and include things like wireless drivers etc.

The idea of the Pi is that kids can use it, so I wouldn't be that worried about not having Linux experience...

Associate
Raspberry Pi with RaspBMC.

I was/am a complete linux "noob". Easy to set up and very cheap. If you dont mind a bit of tinkering then its great. I have 1080p rips in mkv format with DTS pass thru working great.

For easiness factor, WDTV.

Caporegime
OP
I got a Raspberry Pi. No good. It won't play DVDs stored in .VOB format, and I have 400+ DVDs in .VOB.

So it will all be on eBay shortly and I'm back looking for other options. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom