1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapskate Athlon xp solution?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PeteLucky7, 20 May 2006.

1. PeteLucky7

Gangster

Hey all

Query regarding possibly setting up a machine at my country pile (my Gran's). Won't be using it a huge amount so want to get it on the fairly cheap. Don't need anything too fancy but obviously don't want it to be a total dog.

Seen a bundle being sold on a, umm, rival site. Don't think I'm allowed to say which one. Price of £90 for an Athlon XP 2800 m, an (unspecified) socket 754 nf3 mobo and 256mb ram.

Not too expert about XPs, so questions are, in your opinions:

a) is this a good deal?
    b) how does the XP2800 compare with the 3000 venice and is it worth the saving?
    c) would it, when combined with more memory and a cheap (£50ish hopefully) graphics card be up to running, say, Doom3, Quake4, HL2? Oh, and can you suggest a gfx card at this price please?
    d) anyone got any better ideas for anything this price?

Thanks anyone

Last edited: 20 May 2006
  2. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

For normal computing tasks the XP2800+ is more than capable, and gaming should be ok with a decent gfx card. £50 should get you a used 9800 Pro or Gefroce FX 5900 which should play the games you want at modest settings.

3. keef

Gangster

itll be ok, i think if you looked around though you will be able to get a 6600gt probably, then i woulda thought you would be able to play all those games ok.

4. hp7909

Mobster

:confused: or do you mean Sempron 2800+? No XP's even M (mobile) on Socket 754, see ;)

EDIT: If your gran's like your retreat or get away place, PC = more stress, make u anti-social to your fams, etc. Get a handheld console or something like an iPod if you really want to kill time/etc.

5. PeteLucky7

Gangster

Should I ignore this then?

Product Details

Athlon XP 2800+ Skt 754 / 256MB / Motherboard Kit

Processor: AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ Processor + Heatsink and Fan
    Memory: 256MB DDR 400 (PC3200) Branded Memory
    Motherboard: ECS NFORCE3-A*

Chipset: NVIDIA nForce3
    Memory: 2xDDR400
    Onboard Graphics: No onboard graphics (requires AGP graphics card)
    Onboard Sound: 5.1 Surround Sound 6 Channel Audio
    Onboard LAN: 10/100
    Form Factor: ATX
    *Motherboard is subject to change according to availability for an equal or better specification/manufacturer

Edit: Yeah but I think she also wants to be a silver surfer/netgran/whatever the Daily Mail calls them now.

6. hp7909

Mobster

Maybe just a typo. Contact them to clarify/etc :rolleyes:

7. PeteLucky7

Gangster

ok have been lazy and asked them rather than googling it as any normal person would..

8. hp7909

Mobster

:confused: did you check out the link i gave earlier? 'tis the reason i said most likely a typo. if they tell u exact same thing as listed, then i would not take the risk of buying it unless i can see/test the actual stuff 1st.

9. PeteLucky7

Gangster

Yep I checked the link you posted and you're correct, defo doesn't show up there (as you said, no socket 754 xp's).

Really annoying me now though cos I think I'm missing some bargain.