1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check out this build please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mark90gizmo, 24 Apr 2009.

1. mark90gizmo

Associate

2. apeZ

Mobster

If you are spending £660, £150 of that on a case and £200 on a GPU seems a little over the top to me.

3. BAMBI

Hitman

Will you be overclocking? and what will the comp be used for, gaming?

I wouldnt choose a case that costs more then the CPU and motherboard put together in that priced build!

Edit: too slow :)

4. Art

Wise Guy

The first thing we need to know is what you want to do with the machine, and your budget.

Second, that OcUK machine is much better for the money compared to your spec. They've knocked a ridiculous amount of money off it for the This Week Only offer, the hardware is better, and it's an AM3/DDR3 system. Your system is AM2+, which is now a dead socket, and DDR2 is slowly being replaced by DDR3.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2009
  5. mark90gizmo

Associate

I will be using the PC for gaming, and my budget is around £700.

6. 95thrifles

Perma Banned

Id say go for the titan vulcan, its a cracking set up for that money, if you dont like the case you could always replace that, but other than that the vulcan is very good

7. Art

Wise Guy

I'd probably agree, at the TWO price you're pretty much getting it professionally built with a 1 year warranty for free, and you'll have about fifty quid left over either to spruce something up or buy yourself an OS if you need one.

8. D D Danneh

Mobster

If you do decide to build your own, swap the GPU out for one of these:

Same price, better performance. Go figure.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-195-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1403

Slightly more, better performance (and it's BFG - amazing warranty service, free upgrades essentially).
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-086-BG&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1410

Same performance, much cheaper.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-130-XF&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=927

9. 95thrifles

Perma Banned

Alternatively you can do a self build based on the vulcan
    Eg this, has better case, psu, HDD and cooler - note a few of these are on TWO too

[​IMG]

10. Art

Wise Guy

As the 4870 1024MB in the Vulcan? :confused:

EDIT: Ergh, nevermind. Silly me.

11. mark90gizmo

Associate

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

I am still unsure what to do, I have scrapped the build I come up with for sure.

Now I am stuck with buying the Vulcan pre-made or buying the parts the Vulcan comes with as 95thrifles suggested and maybe improve the case. Either way doesn't make much a difference.

Again thanks for the suggestions.

12. BAMBI

Hitman

Since you will be gaming get the best graphics card you can buy and then build the rest of the spec around that. I cant suggest a CPU/mobo setup until you say if you are going to overclock or not.