Checking Visited Websites On Bt Router Is It Possible?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Can the BT home hubs be set to send syslog, or log out some way?

Depending on how much you want to fiddle with stuff could probably set something up to receive the logs and show what's going on (sort of like a mini SIEM).

Slightly overkill, but fun to tinker with though ;)

Caporegime
They probably can log but likely only with development firmware installed and the feature will be entirely undocumented.

Soldato
Just adding my own two cents here but definitely anything is possible if you have the know-how.

However, since I'm looking at doing something not TOO dissimilar, I think PiHole is going to be the best option for you.

To answer a couple of things in the thread here already:
1) OpenDNS (or any alternative like this) isn't an option for your because with the default BT hardware you can't change your DNS settings at the router level. @Caged - the changing IP isn't too much of an issue as you can get a OpenDNS client that updates the IP address as it changes. This does require the client to be running for this change to take effect but at most he'd likely only lose one or two days data if it was a commonly used computer.

2) Wireshark. If you don't know the difference between Putty and SSH then you're possibly starting just a little low level to be playing with Wireshark. Not to say it isn't possible, but I'd say this is the more technically advanced option with no other benefit.

The Raspberry Pi with Pi-Hole is a pretty neat solution imo. It will let you see who's accessing what without being too deep (in a sense of literally seeing everything she types online - which Wireshark could almost let you do)

As a side note, while you do get web-based access to Pi-Hole you can also install "TeamViewer like" software on your RaspPi to allow you to access the desktop interface remotely. But, as others have suggested, your definitely going to need an HDMI capable monitor in the first instance to get it up and running.

Search the Rainforest for "Raspberry Pi 3 Value Starter Kit" and pick up everything you need for £43.

Follow the advice from @BigT (disable DHCP on BT router etc) and in addition to seeing what's being accessed, you'll have a nice ad-free home network.

However, consider how "open" you want to be about what you're doing. The fact that every user in the house will get the odd "access blocked" page when trying to view certain things online consider that it may change their browsing habits (if they think they're being watched)

You might want to tell a white lie that you're adding this device to improve your own internet browsing experience OR tune down filtering (maybe even turn it off) so nothing is apparent (TM RoyMi6Corp - "Lying to children for 30 years")

Soldato
That's a good point @RoyMi6 - perversely you can permanently disable the ad-blocking features from the web interface and no one will ever get a hint of anything being monitored.

APM

APM

Associate
It's a free tool that I haven't used in long while to be honest but it's worth having a look at and with a little playing about and getting used to it can become a very handy thing.

https://www.wireshark.org/

https://www.howtogeek.com/104278/how-to-use-wireshark-to-capture-filter-and-inspect-packets/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

For you it'll be a case of collecting the correct info and filtering it for the right results,so a good place to start may be getting the MAC address of your daughters phone.

ps,I hope it's ok to post links to the external sites there,they're wiki,how-to-geek and wireshark.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@RoyMi6 thanks for all the good info mate and confirming what is the best route for me. Can you tell me what the rainforrest is though? I do have a hdmi tv i can use to set up the Pi with. What would cause the 'access blocked' messages to appear when people are using the internet? Having an add free internet would be awesome too.

@APM Many thanks for posting the links for wireshark. It does seen a bit too complicated for me at this point. I think i can figure out how to configure the Pi. This is where my basic knowledge lets me down im afraid. Ill install it and see if its not as intimidating as it looks. Would i get the mac address of her phone from my router?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The Rainforest = Amazon.co.uk

cheers, searching did not enlighten me ;)

Yes,your router should be able to tell you what devices are connected and what their MAC addresses are.

Ok many thanks, i installed Wireshark, its quite confusing, i will have a little play with it and see how i get on, if i dont get anywhere ill order my Pi from the rainforest ;)

APM

APM

Associate
Wireshark was completely baffling for me,then after some random messing about it clicked into place and I could use it.

The power of that tool is astonishing though and it's one that's worth getting to know.

Have a look at the filter options and see if that narrows things down for you.

Associate
OP
Wireshark was completely baffling for me,then after some random messing about it clicked into place and I could use it.

The power of that tool is astonishing though and it's one that's worth getting to know.

Many thanks, there is also some tutorials on youtube which will maybe help me, reading things can sometimes seem too complicated but video tutorials can make it easier.

Associate
OP

Do you know how i can add my daughters iphone to wireshark, i have searched for this but everything seems to suggest getting the traffic routed through your pc like the Raspberry Pi idea. I have opened wireshark and found how to look for http packets and look at the info, the host usually says which website this was. Will i get the same info from an iphone or do they use different protocols for apps and browser?

I might well buy the Raspberry Pi anyway as i like the idea of an advert free internet.

APM

APM

Associate
I was going to suggest youtube next,it's very true that seeing a demonstration is much easier to absorb than reading through a plain text version of the same thing.

On the second one,can you take a snapshot of traffic from your router then filter the results for your daughter's MAC address?
I'm sure an iphone uses the exact same protocols for web traffic as all other devices.

I'm not really an expert on Wireshark so maybe someone with more hands on xp can chip in and help?

The Raspberry Pi idea sounds fun too.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply and help. So far im not having much luck. The mac address shown on my router settings foor the iphone does not seem to match anything in the results in wireshark. There is a Sagecom device listed and i dont know if that is her device or not.

Soldato
Wireshark isn't going to be the right route unless you do a lot of digging and specific setting up.

The problem you've got that because you're connected to a switch, none of the iPhone traffic is being sent to your computer - it's being sent to where it needs to go.

If anything, to get this working you'd need to recreate the way PiHole works - effectively creating a man in the middle attack. Unless you can do switch mirroring (something which Google suggest isn't possible with the BT Homehub)

Anyway, if you're keen - this is what you want to be reading:
https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Ethernet
https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLAN

OR... spend £43 on Amazon, and tomorrow you could have it working with PiHole.

Back
Top Bottom