Cherry MX Silent vs Red/Brown with O-Ring mod.

Soldato
Does anyone know which is quietest?

Would silent with o-rings be quieter still?

On a slightly related note, I'm after a nice quality gaming chair at some point but one that doesn't make a lot of noise when you move around in it. I always seem to get chairs that do this, maybe because they are old and cheap and free :D I was wondering if the expensive ones are any quieter.

I'm often up late gaming and I'd like to make that as quiet as possible.

Associate
I was in the same situation and needed something quiet as not to disturb others in the same room, I have had both and started with ducky shine 2 with cherry browns, and later put Orings on them, it made things quiet when you press the key, but as the key comes up it still makes a clack noise from the key-cap, which I wasn't to happy about, and was still to loud for others in the wee hours of the night,
I could make them sound silent by half pressing, but when your gaming with headphones on you don't realise how hard you can press the keys!

But then I bought the Corsair Strife RGB with MX Silent switches (which are linner but I prefer the feel of them, as opposed to the browns) and they are dampened both on the press and key coming upwards, and it was exactly what I was looking for and no more complaints! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was looking at that very KB. I've always been Logitech but I thought I'd try Corsair this time around. I had a look at some youtube videos but I couldn't find one that directly compared the Silent with Red+O-ring mod so was hoping someone may have experience with both, I'd even use silent with o-ring if that has a benefit. I mostly play FPS so my fingers are always resting on the keys also I'm not sure if a linear switch is best for that?

Soldato
I haved used browns with o-rings and the Silent switches. Not a huge deal in it, but the Silent are a bit quieter. That said, the noise on the bottoming out isn't the problem (which is what the o-rings help with), but rather the sound when the key comes back up. This is what got me in the end and why I returned both. I am just very sensitive to noise on a keyboard, so I appreciate I may be in the minority here, but the word 'Silent' really needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. For example, compared to my membrane Logitech keyboard (K800), the Logitech was actually noisier on the bottoming out than the MX Silent switch... BUT, the noise of the key as it came back up was far noisier than the Logitech. Overall, I stuck with the Logitech, because it gave me an overall far quieter experience. Also, I found the space bar on both Corsair keyboards I tried very 'clattery' for some reason, and much noisier than the other keys. I have not encountered that on any other keyboard, so maybe it's a Corsair thing, but I am not sure if it's normal. Bottom line, I would suggest anyone try these boards in the flesh if possible... I suspect it's a very personal thing. It is only through this process, trying MANY mechanicals, that I found they just aren't for me personally.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers Legend, one thing I hate is loose spacebars, my G15 suffers from this, they can fix it with better mounting, it's just lazy design.

Don't think I'd be happy getting that from a £150 spend especially as I'm likely to be rattling that key constantly in gaming, I had assumed that mechanicals were much more solidly constructed as they are not rattling around on a pressure pad. May as well just save my money after hearing that.

Soldato
The MX Silent are definitely the quietest switches I've tried, but the noise of the keys on return is what kills it for me (as mentioned, I acknowledge I'm sensitive to these things, probably more than most given how popular these boards are), and all these silencing mods only help with the bottoming out it seems. That and the clattery space bar on the STRAFE that I had, which there is no excuse for on a £150 keyboard.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
id give the silents a go if they come in browns
dont like reds :(
its nice cherry have added something new tho!

Soldato
I don't mind a little noise but the rattling spacebar is off-putting. Would have to play with one in the flesh and god knows where I'd find one to do that locally.

You may want to look at the Ducky Shine 5... I read a thread somewhere online with people complaining about rattling space bars, and someone posted a video of the DS5 and it looked very solid. It's only available with browns, but you could use the o-ring mod to help with bottoming out.

id give the silents a go if they come in browns
dont like reds :(
its nice cherry have added something new tho!

I believe the MX Silent switches are effectively silenced browns, at least in terms of feel. From my personal experience they are VERY similar to browns with o-rings anyway.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
You may want to look at the Ducky Shine 5... I read a thread somewhere online with people complaining about rattling space bars, and someone posted a video of the DS5 and it looked very solid. It's only available with browns, but you could use the o-ring mod to help with bottoming out.

I believe the MX Silent switches are effectively silenced browns, at least in terms of feel. From my personal experience they are VERY similar to browns with o-rings anyway.

wah u sure? the little vid i watched showed them as reds with better case
i like the tactile bump on browns

doesnt matter anyway i dont think ill get them in a keyboard i like *sulk

Associate

no cherry silents are dampend reds, they are not browns!

Mei

Mei

Soldato
yeh we have both the silent and speed based on the reds now
when the browns going to get some love
wow that sounds bad :x

Back
Top Bottom