• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

cherry picked cpus worth it?

Soldato
If you'd be gutted if you bought one off the shelf and it DIDN'T do 5 gig, then yes it's worth it :)

It's up there with if you want a quad, buy a quad, don't put your hopes on a dual that might not unlock ^^

Man of Honour
They're sold as up to 5GHz. They might well run at that on test rigs in store, but your own mileage may vary. Different hardware, ambient temperatures, anything can affect it really.

If you can't get 5GHz on them, there might be nothing you can do about it.

Associate
you need to check what voltage they use to get 5ghz.i've seen them at 5ghz but when you read the small print they are using 1.5v.nearly all chips will do 5ghz but the volts are way too high for 24/7 use.

Soldato
OP
are enginnering sample chips picked by intel to be better?

i have seen screens for a i5 at 5ghz using 1.092 volts would tht be possible , or has this been photoshoped , also completed a 50 run in linx?

Caporegime
are enginnering sample chips picked by intel to be better?

i have seen screens for a i5 at 5ghz using 1.092 volts would tht be possible , or has this been photoshoped , also completed a 50 run in linx?

Impossible.

There was (still is?) a bug in CPU-Z that made it report the VTT voltage (stock is 1.05 IIRC) on certain motherboards rather than the core voltage, I think that's what you've witnessed.

As to the OP I'd be weary, chances are the guy selling them has just plonked them in and booted at 5ghz and then sorted them into baskets, unless he guarantees LinX/Prime stability which I doubt you may still fall well short.

Caporegime
They used to a while ago but it doesn't look like they do now.

they werent cherry picked they were cpus that were almost garunteed to run at 5ghz even if you picked a random one.

cherry picking cpus puts people off buying from you because the people who dont pay the extra are almost garunteed to get a crap chip.

the same way as dead pixel checking puts off customers because people who wont pay the extra are almost garunteed to get dead pixels so you end up with a bunch of customers who would rather just buy somewhere else instead

Associate
Ask yourself would you be buying one because you genuinely believe sticking it in your own system (different to the sellers and also you are taking his word for it....) will give you 5Ghz no probs or just for the kudos of telling your mates your cpu was "Cherry picked"?

Also, if he is saying "upto 5Ghz" then I very much doubt he will take it back if you only get 4.5Ghz say.
Sounds like a lot of marketing bullcrap to me, IMO of course.
How much extra do they charge?

Caporegime
they werent cherry picked they were cpus that were almost garunteed to run at 5ghz even if you picked a random one.

cherry picking cpus puts people off buying from you because the people who dont pay the extra are almost garunteed to get a crap chip.

the same way as dead pixel checking puts off customers because people who wont pay the extra are almost garunteed to get dead pixels so you end up with a bunch of customers who would rather just buy somewhere else instead

They were cherry picked because they weren't just guaranteed to run at a certain speed but also at a certain voltage.

Any processors which didn't meet both the speed and voltage set down by OcUK would have been rejected.

Caporegime
They were cherry picked because they weren't just guaranteed to run at a certain speed but also at a certain voltage.

Any processors which didn't meet both the speed and voltage set down by OcUK would have been rejected.

yea and the majority of the cpus at the time did that...

as far as im aware ocuk have always been anti cherry picking and anti pixel testing

Caporegime
no its not because they dont pick out the good ones and sell the crap ones to everyone else

Yes they do.

They pick out the ones which work at a certain speed at a certain voltage and the rejects go back in the pile to be sold as "normal" chips.

What do you think they do with those that don't pass the tests, throw them away?

Associate
My understanding is that they use the batch codes to speed bin them. In the porcess of building their own branded overclocked PC's a set of tets would have to be performed, and the batch numbers would be recorded to correspond to the maximum attainable speed and the voltages at which those speeds were attained. These CPU's would then have to be sold as overclocked, so would usually be included in an overclocked rig. When going to build another rig, a CPU from the same batch that attained the desired speeds would be used.

No online retailer SHOULD sell the tested CPU's as new once tested as they have already had their Intel warranty invalidated. OCUK (if they as I suspect operate in this matter) I've no doubt sells unopened, untested units. Retail ones are sealed anyway with a tamperproof seal so your safe getting one of those.

It's be against the law to sell something as new if it had already been used/tested. Selling something as NEW and under warranty when it isn't breaks the sales of goods act.
Also, wouldn't the licensing agreement that go with an OEM chip prevent it being able to be used in more than one motherboard?

I don;t believe that a reputable seller such as OCUK would knowingly flaunt this and risk their purchasing pull with Intel being risked.

A rogue ebay trader might well try to sell on something as new when it's not in order to make money. After all, how can you prove it, and what can you do to them?

Back
Top Bottom