Chest of drawers

Soldato
I think with furniture its better to just buy something decent. A solid oak chest of drawers is around £250 ish, but it'll last you a lifetime. Buying furniture made from weetabix for half the price will end up costing you much more in the long run, so even if you have to borrow some from family or friends its well worth buying a proper piece of furniture imo.

The drawers in the John Lewis link is pretty poor. It looks to be thin pine, with pocket hole fixings. It'll be better than Ikea, but still not great, especially for the price.

Soldato
OP
I think with furniture its better to just buy something decent. A solid oak chest of drawers is around £250 ish, but it'll last you a lifetime. Buying furniture made from weetabix for half the price will end up costing you much more in the long run, so even if you have to borrow some from family or friends its well worth buying a proper piece of furniture imo.

The drawers in the John Lewis link is pretty poor. It looks to be thin pine, with pocket hole fixings. It'll be better than Ikea, but still not great, especially for the price.

They were £220 on my original link and they sounds pretty crappy to be fair - look good but poor drawer runners. I think i'll be looking at more like £600 or go second hand for £250ish

Soldato
MALM is fine if you’re on a tight budget and not planning to move it around too much once you’ve built it.

I think IKEA’s build and materials quality has declined now that most of their furniture is made outside of Sweden.

Still head and shoulders above all the other flat pack furniture in terms of quality and ease of assembly in my opinion however.

Soldato
MALM are awful, awful quality. Think Argos cheap stuff from the early 2000s (that phase when they had really, REALLY terrible products)

Spend your hard earned money on something better
https://www.reddit.com/r/IKEA/comments/5izlc2/malm_old_vs_new_chest_drawers/

They have updated them, so it depends on what version you are referring to. I dismantled an old MALM and there is a big difference in quality compared to the ones I got 3 years ago

The draws on the new ones I made up seem perfectly fine, I'm sure a draw full of manga is heavier than most uses. :D

Back
Top Bottom