Chip & Pin not so secure...

Associate
The UK banking industry's massive investment in Chip & PIN payment cards has been brought into question after fraudsters stole more than £1 million from customers by implanting skimming devices in retailer PIN pads.
UK police have arrested eight people in connection with the fraud which affected hundreds of customers paying for goods and services at Shell petrol stations. Tampered card readers have been discovered at three Shell forecourts and the oil company has temporarily suspended all Chip and PIN payments at its network of outlets across the UK.

considering the banks supposedly tested and approved all the various makes/models, there really is no excuse...

the company i work for supplies some shell sites with a c&p solution, and our official line is:

"We are aware of problems experienced on some Shell sites with the Trintech device. At this stage information on the problem is sketchy, not least because it is subject to an ongoing police investigation and we are awaiting a formal statement from Trintech. However, we believe that the problem is related to the insertion of an electronic device and that in order to do this the Trintech has to be physically removed from the site. To date we have no indication of the problem being more widespread than indicated in the press - that is linked to Shell company owned sites"

Associate
OP
D4VE said:
This happened at a Shell garage near me :(

Recently I had to sign for something when I paid by Switch, is this legal?

signing is still perfectly legal. c&p was NEVER a legal requirement, but the banks forced it on retailers by saying that any fraudulent transaction on non c&p cards would be charged to site...

Associate
OP
PinkPig said:
Whatever technology we use, there's always the possibility of someone on the inside switching equipment. In addition, it's nothing to do with the fact that you enter a PIN rather than signing.

its no harder to fit a skimmer to a c&p terminal than it is to fit one to an ATM (apart from it being next to the cashier). i dont think the terminal would need to be removed from site...more the cashier distracted long enough to allow the skimmer to be slotted in...

...could be wrong though...

Back
Top Bottom