Chipping a diesel - long term affects?

Soldato
So the wheels are in motion with a 320d sport purchase - now looking at a 04 model with less than 60k which should come in between 13-15k.

After test driving a few models, I feel that the power is adequate, but of course I want more - so the plan is to chip it, brings it up to 330d power (Ireland being Ireland, there were no 330d's to test drive).

My main question is - what are the disadvantages to chipping this engine and chipping in general? More strain on the turbo? I'm planning to keep it a year (before it hits 100K), remove the "tuning box" and fit it to a 05 model.

All help appreciated :)

Nice one - a remapped 320d will be a nice motor :)

The turbo isn't put under much more strain. On the 330d stock turbo pressure is 1.1bar, this is raised by 0.15bar which isn't a massive increase, but remember this extra strain on the turbo is only felt at peak power. The fuel injection rate is also increased.

The remap only changes these parameters dependant on throttle position, so assuming you were only using the throttle between 0 and say 50% it will be using the same parameters as a standard car, between 50% and 100%, you'll be using the new map. So around town and most general driving conditions where you don't actually need to make use of the increased power, the car will be under the same strain as standard.

Gearbox and drive shaft are also put under more pressure - it was actually my drive shaft that was the limiting factor in my map as it started rumbling with the stronger maps under full throttle. This was probably down to my propshaft doughnut, so will probably get it remapped again once this has been replaced.

Thing is, there are so many people who have had remaps done yet no real links to issues developing. Of course if you have a worn clutch to start with, a remap will likely accelerate its failure, but it's unlikely that a part will fail solely because of a remap.

As my car had done over 110k miles when I had the remap done I was very wary about getting one done so spent a while talking to the guy who remapped it before getting it done. I used Simon at www.e-maps.co.uk who does a lot of 320d and 330d's so he knows them inside out. He checked over my MAF and got his hands dirty cleaning my EGR valve before doing the remap. Well worth having a chat with him if you're still worried about it.

Cheers for the reply!

I'm thinking about going for one of those plug in - plug out tuning boxes, so that I can move car to car. I've never owned a car more than 12 months before, and I can change my car every year for very little cost (similar car costs me a 10-20% less if I import it from UK to Ireland).

Any idea what companies offer this?

Back
Top Bottom