Chocolate Ganache

Soldato
Quick question. I'm going to make a chocolate sandwich cake with normal whipped cream filing, and I'd like to cover the top with a chocolate ganache. Mary Berry makes ganache with 150g Bournville broken into pieces and melted with double cream over the hob. I've got a 150g bar of Tesco cooking chocolate. Will that work or be too bitter?
Most recipes for ganache suggest semi sweet chocolate and looking at the ingredients on my bar, it does have some sugar content so I'm guessing that's considered semi sweet?

https://i.postimg.cc/pXsW0LBy/20190125-112610.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/xTpQvF0z/20190125-112601.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Try it and see, "too bitter" is down to personal taste. My missus did exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago on a cake (with that same Tesco chocolate). Wife and I enjoyed it, children gave it a "meh" rating :rolleyes:

EDIT: I bet you got the Mary Berry book for christmas too :)

Soldato
OP
Hehe, :D No, I don't have her book. I just find the Mary Berry recipes on YouTube easy to follow. And the cupcakes I made from her recipe were really light, tasty and well received.

So I've had a go and made chocolate cake today with whipped cream filling. It's come out very tasty but yeah, the ganache is a bit too bitter for me. Won't be using cooking chocolate again, I'll buy bournville or even milk chocolate.

So anyway, here's some pics. Was good fun making it all. :) After making the ganache, (75g choc and 75ml double cream) I stuck it in the fridge but it wasn't really thickening enough so gave it a quick whip up which did the trick. gave me the right consistency.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just watched a BA recipe video on YouTube the other day that had chocolate Ganache and they recommended not to use anything above 70% Cacao as it would be too bitter.

Soldato
OP
I just watched a BA recipe video on YouTube the other day that had chocolate Ganache and they recommended not to use anything above 70% Cacao as it would be too bitter.

Yeah, that would be very bitter.
I've got a few bags of choc chips which I'll melt next time. They're nice and sweet, no harshness. To be honest, I could probably use any bar of Cadburys chocolate or even an unbranded bar.
20190130-124237.jpg

Soldato
We often use dairy milk when making ganache. Some people may find it too sweet but we like it.

The only time we use chocolate with more cacao is when it's going with something that is already sweet. One of my favourite deserts is a dark chocolate and raspberry tart. That's sweet raspberries in sweet shortcrust pastry so sweet ganache would make it too sweet.

Caporegime
Something around 70-80% Cacao is perfect for ganache, otherwise the sweatness combined with the richness is too much, especially when covering a sweet cake.

Low cacao chocolate ends up with the ganache being more like a brown butter and is a little sickening.

Associate
I'm never a fan of cooking chocolate, I often find it tastes a little strange...

When I make ganache, I do it with double cream & Tesco's cheapest dark chocolate (it's actually really good for the price, and I've never had complaints). I add a bit of caster sugar with the cream as it's heating to sweeten it a bit and it comes out great.

Soldato
OP
I'm never a fan of cooking chocolate, I often find it tastes a little strange...

When I make ganache, I do it with double cream & Tesco's cheapest dark chocolate (it's actually really good for the price, and I've never had complaints). I add a bit of caster sugar with the cream as it's heating to sweeten it a bit and it comes out great.

Yeah, that's what I was missing I think, adding some sugar. I also use cheap dark chocolate. Tesco do this line of dark or milk chocolate called Ms Mollys, only 30p per 100g bar, tastes pretty nice.

Associate
Yeah, that's what I was missing I think, adding some sugar. I also use cheap dark chocolate. Tesco do this line of dark or milk chocolate called Ms Mollys, only 30p per 100g bar, tastes pretty nice.
That's the dark chocolate I use now. I used to use the tesco value stuff (in the white packet), but that was replaced by Ms Molly's, and either it's not changed, or it's changed so minimally it didn't matter. (I find dark chocolate is a lot harder to make wrong, whereas milk/white I find the cheap stuff oftern doesn't taste as good)

Soldato
OP
That's the dark chocolate I use now. I used to use the tesco value stuff (in the white packet), but that was replaced by Ms Molly's, and either it's not changed, or it's changed so minimally it didn't matter. (I find dark chocolate is a lot harder to make wrong, whereas milk/white I find the cheap stuff oftern doesn't taste as good)

Yeah, there's a few Ms Molly products including chocolate, ice cream and biscuits all at ridiculously low prices. I think it's probably the same as their value stuff but rebranded with a made up name. But the packaging is slightly more glossy than the value stuff. I was at Ikea today and noticed they sell 100g bars of dark and milk chocolate for 75p. I wouldn't be surprised if it's really good as they tend to sell tasty food items there.

Caporegime
Yeah, there's a few Ms Molly products including chocolate, ice cream and biscuits all at ridiculously low prices. I think it's probably the same as their value stuff but rebranded with a made up name. But the packaging is slightly more glossy than the value stuff. I was at Ikea today and noticed they sell 100g bars of dark and milk chocolate for 75p. I wouldn't be surprised if it's really good as they tend to sell tasty food items there.

Yep, Tesco has created a number of fake brands for their value products, pretty effective if you don't realise too.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ms-a-marketing-strategy-past-its-sell-by-date

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom