Choosing a new Monitor. What a nightmare!.

Associate
So the way I understand it, from what i've read over the last 12 hours over the Internet.

4K only runs at 60Hz max currently. Great for TV but has its flaws when using a 27" size.

so. 144hz 1440p gaming. looks amazing, but woah,
IPS: What the hell, Back light bleed, yellow glow, Dead pixels!.!
TN: None of that, But washed out colours?. What?..

Surely this is all knitpicking!. or is this technology really this hit and miss!.
I would really like some feedback from gamers who own any of these please!.
Thanks!

Here were the monitors I'm looking at!.

Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" WQHD 165Hz IPS G-Sync 2K Gaming Monitor
Asus 27" ROG Swift PG278QR Quad HD G-SYNC Gaming Monitor

Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 2K 165Hz G-Sync Monitor With IPS Panel

Dell S2716DG 27" Nvidia G Sync 144Hz QHD 1ms Gaming Monitor

Last edited:
Associate
I can tell you from what I had is I went from a Samsung SA950 27" 120hz 1080p great monitor to the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q thinking it would be perfect and I had far too much back light bleed or yellowish glow from all 4 corners which I could see in a slightly dark game so I sent it back and had another sent thinking it was a bad one but I got the same again but not quite as bad but still too much and thinking it was an IPS panel I thought colours would be great but when any dark scene in a game was on or let say playing operation locker in battlefield 4 the colours looked washed out and faded due to the blacks on the monitor not being as good as my older Samsung TN panel. So I sent that back and got the Dell S2716DG with GSYNC (I think there are 2 models of this with same number one with gsync and one without) and even though its a TN panel the colours just look better due to the blacks being better and I have only the smallest amount of light bleed at the bottom of the screen and I do mean really small that you can only see when the screen is in a full black state when starting up. (most people would not even notice it) and there is no time I can even come close to seeing it when the monitor is on and in game or movie. (Being a TN panel the viewing angles are not as good as ips) but for now I would like to see an ips panel that doesn't have yellowish glow in the corners and can do great blacks so dark scenes look right and not faded. All I had to do with the screen was turn it on and go into NVidia control panel and turn the gamma down a little and bang there it was and at the time (march last year) this was £460 and the asus was £700 so I was a happy bunny.

Associate

Great monitor and the washed out colours can be fixed with an ICC profile.

Soldato

Great monitor and the washed out colours can be fixed with an ICC profile.

Agree with you tintin82 the Dell is a great all round monitor and once tweaked it really does look good for a TN panel.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your replies.
I've carefully taken it all into consideration, and opted for the Dell S2716DG 27" Nvidia G Sync 144Hz QHD 1ms Gaming Monitor.

I'm encouraged that the colours can indeed be fixed with ICC profile, just as my old current LCD had!.

Associate
I'm pretty sure you will be more than happy as I'm a fussy *****r and I like it a lot. if you don you can always send it back and get a refund so just make sure you unpack it carefully :)

Back
Top Bottom