• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Choosing between a few 4090 models...

Associate
I had a Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC go caput last week. Not sure what the issue was, but much troubleshooting on my side (and reseller) determined it wasn't any of the usual culprits. This reseller has now offered instead of waiting for RMA repair, they can replace my card with one of the following (I'm a long-time volume buyer and fully understand I'm getting privileged treatment here):

Gigabyte Auros Master
PNY Verto Epic-X
Gigabyte Waterforce
Asus ROG Strix
MSI Suprim X

For those who have experience, which of these models would you go for? Any of them should work with my case and PSU. I'll likely sell it later this year when 5090 comes, so value retention is a (subtle) concern.

Associate
OP
I'd probably choose the Asus option out of that lot.
I was thinking that as well, but the Waterforce is tempting due to its 1.5-slot profile which would allow access my bottom PCI-E again (which in all the years AGP/PCI slots have existed I never thought would be a problem...). But then again, it's watercooled so one more potential point of failure.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I was very impressed with Gigabyte recently. My 2 year old 12GB 3080Ti died, and they replaced it with a 16Gb 4080 Super.
I've had the same experience with quality and service from Gigabyte and Asus over the years: decent to mediocre. The only exceptions/caveates have been 1) Asus laptop QA is garbage, 2) Gigabyte mobo QA is similarly garbage. Powercolor and (formerly) EVGA were they only two AIBs that I recall going above and beyond.

I've gone with the Strix as I figure, even if any performance benefit is super marginal on these models, resale value will be higher than the others. My main reservation is I really don't want to support Asus considering the proof they are systematically scamming people on RMAs, but my reseller already has the card in hand i.e. I'm not paying for it.

Man of Honour
Glad to see there's been a good experience, but they seem like they're all dodgy, tbh.

Associate
Glad to see there's been a good experience, but they seem like they're all dodgy, tbh.

I will never buy their hardware again due to so many faults in recent years. It got that bad their rep mysteriously disappeared off here.

@GIGA-Man You still alive blud?

Soldato
Suprim x for me.
The pump out I have seen on two strix cards would put me off them, plus the numerous accounts of it online

Associate
OP
Strix, it s looks really good in a case. It's has that resale value, because for some reason people want Strix cards.

Gigabyte software is also not very good.

MSI Suprim X, great cooling but questionable PCB's?
I went with the Strix. It OCs about the same as my former Gigabyte Gaming, but runs exceedingly cooler and quieter. I haven't seen it go above 58c, even after long gaming sessions.

Back
Top Bottom