Choosing monitor...4K or 1440p

Soldato
I personally wouldn't bother with 4k for a long while, even 2 newer cards will give you a low minimum fps in quite a few titles.. averages might be half decent but they will drop a lot more when action is going on.

There's some decently priced 4k monitors around now especially compared to the 1440p ROG Swift, but then you have to compromise with lower fps and no extra features and 60hz.
I'd prefer to go 1440p max, but will probably still stick to 1080p for a while yet.

Really just depends if you prefer a bit sharper image, or faster performance.. i'd prefer to get high stable frames tbh.

Last edited:
Associate
I personally wouldn't bother with 4k for a long while, even 2 newer cards will give you a low minimum fps in quite a few titles.. averages might be half decent but they will drop a lot more when action is going on.

There's some decently priced 4k monitors around now especially compared to the 1440p ROG Swift, but then you have to compromise with lower fps and no extra features and 60hz.
I'd prefer to go 1440p max, but will probably still stick to 1080p for a while yet.

Really just depends if you prefer a bit sharper image, or faster performance.. i'd prefer to get high stable frames tbh.

The jump up to 1440p for me from 1080p was ridiculous and mind blowing, let alone 4K which I've experienced a few times now. There really is nothing quite like it, but obviously I haven't had the benefit of 120 or 144hz gaming, which may be equally mind blowing depending what you're after. Clearly it depends what games you're playing.

144hz at 1440p would be the perfect balance of visuals and performance some are after.

Last edited:
Soldato
The jump up to 1440p for me from 1080p was ridiculous and mind blowing, let alone 4K which I've experienced a few times now. There really is nothing quite like it, but obviously I haven't had the benefit of 120 or 144hz gaming, which may be equally mind blowing depending what you're after. Clearly it depends what games you're playing.

144hz at 1440p would be the perfect balance of visuals and performance some are after.

I definitely feel and see the extra smoothness with 120hz over 60, i wouldn't go as far as to say it's a big a leap as seeing from 30fps to 60fps but it's not far off. No doubt 4k is good for certain games that do run well, i see Dirt 3 demoed mainly with 4k and after checking benchmarks i can see why because it runs so well.. but it's not for me at least not for a while.

Associate
I definitely feel and see the extra smoothness with 120hz over 60, i wouldn't go as far as to say it's a big a leap as seeing from 30fps to 60fps but it's not far off. No doubt 4k is good for certain games that do run well, i see Dirt 3 demoed mainly with 4k and after checking benchmarks i can see why because it runs so well.. but it's not for me at least not for a while.

Yeah I actually just saw some videos showing the difference in slo motion, definitely noticeable, using my desktop now I even see the blurred delayed affect of moving my cursor too quick, so I'm sure I'd benefit with the 120/144hz set up. I guess I'm just making resolution a priority atm. I'd love 4K 120hz in the future though :cool:

Soldato
I have a 4K monitor, it's been perfect since the day i bought it, but now i have noticed it's started giving me a headache constantly squinting to read text. I have changed the scaling back to normal as it makes the text not so sharp.

Back
Top Bottom