Christmas rituals

Soldato
The build up involves Muppet Christmas Carol as we put the tree up with port and mince pies.

Depends where we are for Christmas itself.
Go to missus' family in Ireland and it's a week of playing games and drinking while keeping small children away from the lemonade bottles. Usually at least 20 people in the house.

If we go to my parents, it's pretty much what others have described but as we are getting older, everyone is asleep by 10pm. Had my son last year so he got elbow dropped for not being awake at 6am. There are rules after all.

This year is on our own so lots of gaming and chilling. Full on 5 course dinner is something I'm looking forward to.

Soldato
Midnight mass usually on Christmas Eve.

A nice lie in and lazy morning.

Start cooking / helping to get ready for food - it's never turkey though, that's our tradition, not having turkey for Christmas :p

Eat too much.

Be in a state of foodcoma in the lounge playing board games, or something "en famille". If in France we'd go for a walk in the mountains, build a snowman or something like that. Keep away from the TV - not a fan of TV anyway, so it very much stays off. It want to spend time with loved ones, not some rubbish on TV that I can watch any time I want.

Opening gifts can vary though invariably it is after lunch/dinner.

I hope you don't let your protein intake slip?!

Associate
I havent done this for 2 years as Ive been having Christmas here with my partners family but every year my dad would cook the ham during the night as it takes long time to cook and my mum would make the rice porridge ready for morning. So on 24th that we celebrate Christmas all our friends/family would go to my parents for breakfast which would be the porridge with one almond in it for tradition (if you get it you will have good luck for next year), warm just out of the oven ham and some cold smoked and gravlax salmon with christmas bread. Oh and ofc my mums homemade cheese and the homemade christmas mustard. This has been the tradition for as long as I remember and was their way of saying happy christmas to everyone as the dinner is just the family.
Its also a lovely one cos all I had to do was show up to the table when I woke up and eat as much as I could and my mum would try to make me stay away from the cheese so I wouldnt steal all of it for myself :D It is the most amaizing cheese in the world though...

Soldato
xmas tree of course,
xmas eve, chinese take away, me-satay chicken, prawns in batter, curry sauce.
bottle of southern comfert, over 5'ish days,
3-4 dvd's of the year, sci-fi :)

turkey is turkey bluurrr!

Soldato
well I pretty much do exactly the same every Christmas so I guess it's tradition now. The follow is what never changes.....

Christmas Eve - Chinese Takeaway, lots of alcohol and a film

Christmas Day

Terrys Chocolate Orange and Bottle of Beer whilst opening the presents after we all wake up (an old office tradition we came up with about 15 years ago)

Full English Breakfast (2 x bacon, 2 x sausage, 1 x fried egg, pile of scrambled eggs, beans, mushrooms, black pudding, hash brown, tomatoes, 2 x toast) with champagne

Mince Pie and various chocolates mid morning (usually those shell things) - arguing about who forgot the batteries for the kids new toys

Christmas Dinner is at one of the parents houses (prawn cocktail, turkey, Christmas pudding with tons of whipped cream, cheese and biscuits, chocolates, wine) - Sherry, followed by a few vodka and cokes

Christmas Supper is usually turkey/stuffing rolls with either trifle or Christmas cake, followed by a good few vodka and cokes

When we get back to our house I usually stick band of brothers on for some reason and start picking at the quality streets. This is after I have spent ages taking all the kids presents out of the car boot

Late Christmas night I have a quick go on the xbox

Boxing Day is spent at someones house, always turkey curry for dinner

Fat ****!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'll probably wake up around 7am, have a shower and get dressed (christmas jumper of course :D) then wait for the girlfriend to pop over. We will exchange presents and she will go back home to her mums, as she prepares the food.

I will head over to the ex-wife's to drop off some presents to my daughter and make the trip over to my mums where my brothers and everyone will be gathered. We tend to let the children open all of their presents in a frenzy whilst the adults potter about. When the fuss has died down the adults will open their presents and then it's usually time for dinner.

Inevitably my dad will play a prank (last year he slipped £10 in to a cracker and said "Oh, this must be those posh crackers - que everyone pulling crackers :p) and we will have a few drinks.

After dinner we will open presents from under the tree and get a board game or some family activity out. The rest of the evening is usually spent drinking whilst staying the night at my mums.

Back
Top Bottom