Chromebooks

Soldato

I highly doubt it at the moment, although I'm sure it's a requested feature. If you can set up some sort of FTP interface then that should work.

I'll look into it at some point, but it's not really a big issue. I imagine the FTP suggestion is the wisest/easiest idea.

I'm just looking at having a low power machine that does what I need. Currently wasting electricity with the desktop at the moment... A Chrome based device looks like it will fit the bill.

Soldato
I'm thinking to pick up the Samsung Chromebook when I'm in the US next week. I'm currently trying to sell my slow, old, Sony laptop on eBay...

How do you find the battery life? Does it really last over 6 hours? Did you also get the 100gb free on Google Drive?

Associate
I get 6 hours easily from a full charge on the original Chromebook, the Samsung 5 that I bought more than a year ago. I use it for web browsing, GDrive spreadsheets and presentations, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, gmailing, etc. I usually have a podcast on in the background and have at least 8 or 10 tabs open at any time. So for the full spec Chromebook, 6 hours should be easy for you too.

You will amused to know that today, Google and Acer announced the new Acer C7 Chromebook which will go on sale in the US tomorrow at $ 199, fully $ 50 cheaper than the Samsung Chromebook. I read it will be sold in the UK on the Google Play Store and via Amazon, PC World and Currys. One drawback is the reported 3.5 hour battery life but for anyone with access to a power source for occasional charging, should be fine. How the hell can Google and Acer sell this device at $ 199. Amazing really.

http://9to5google.com/2012/11/12/go...er-c7-chromebook-available-starting-tomorrow/

Soldato
OP
How do you find the battery life? Does it really last over 6 hours? Did you also get the 100gb free on Google Drive?

Not tested properly, but I'd guess so. All reviews I've read say around 6:45 ish. And yes, 100GB offer works.

Hmm, 320gb mechanical rather than SSD, is that really the way to go?

I would've thought probably not. Must be a combination of cost saving and maybe marketing i.e. the masses might not realise what an SSD is yet - to them 320GB > 16GB end of story :p. I can't see anyone needing that amount of storage on a Chromebook. There is very little the file browser can do.

Ah well, for $200 you can't complain I suppose. Shall we take bets on what that'll translate to... £180? :p

Soldato
Decided to pick up a Chromebox for my ChromeOS fix, couldn't really justify another portable device...
First impressions are good, the noise difference between this and my desktop feels very strange!

Soldato
Which one? The Samsung version?

Anyone that owns it, what are your thoughts on it's speed? Has anyone tried a class 10 SD card in it to test speeds of that?

As I think about it, a MicroSD card in an adapter would be fine, and move the card between S3 and Chromebook. Anyone think of a reason why this is a bad idea?

Soldato
Think I may trade in the Air for the Pixel. I increasingly find myself using Docs and Chrome anyway, may as well go full on Google products. It looks really nice! :p

Guessing it will be announced at Google I/O and released. I wonder what they have done, it feels like it's going to be a major launch of Chroms OS somewhat so I imagine they have been working hard on WOWing people.

Back
Top Bottom