Chromebooks

Soldato
OP
I just got my new toy 2nd hand off ebay:

a1ozH2Q.jpg

It's easily the nicest laptop I've used. Having said that I've never tried a macbook air so my comment doesn't really stand for that much.

Soldato
OP
Nice! have always considered picking up a Pixel from ebay, but would need to be the right price.
How are you finding the most recent ChromeOS build? Since going back to m-itx set-up, I've not fired up the ChromeBox... :(

Yeh, for the price I got it you could get a pretty decent Windows laptop, but the build quality wouldn't come close. It was a bit of an impulse buy - probably not very sensible :p US keyboard layout is the only annoyance.

ChromeOS is coming along fairly steadily, albeit not on the same level as Android. External monitor support is now good. My main issue now is that you can't disable mouse acceleration forever.

Apparently they are being adopted quickly in schools and now account for 21% of all notebook sales.

My dad is thinking of getting a Chromebook. If my dad bought a Acer C720 how long would he get updates for? I mean is it like Android tablet were after 18 months any further updates are stopped?

He is looking for something to replace an XP netbook and likes the look of these Chromebooks due to simplicity of use.

As manic111 said, in theory ChromeOS shouldn't 'slow down' as traditional laptops do. I suppose as time goes on and websites become more HTML5 intensive, they will use more resources but the Chrome team seem to put a lot of effort into making the browser load pages efficiently.

I would recommend the Acer C720 because it seems great value. My second option would be the Toshiba 13 inch Chromebook - better screen and build quality, although it's £50 more. The HP 11 is the nice but that ARM processor lets it down.

Soldato
OP
Really want a Chromebook Pixel, but... I just can't justify it!

If you can get one second hand, do it! I did and it's a joy to use.

But at the end of the day its all about compromises and the C720 for me wins out so I shall try and persuade my dad to get that.

Agree that the C720 is a good choice for you. The Dell Chromebook 11 has some good reviews but it will probably be over £200. If the HP had the Intel chip it would be the ultimate Chromebook for the price.

Soldato
OP
Yes, or rather, limited to web apps and apps from the Chrome store. Chrome apps can now run outside the browser IIRC.

Has anyone tried the Chromecast app from a Chromebook? I can see the two complementing each other quite well...

Back
Top Bottom