Chromebooks

Soldato
Not sure about the i3 version, but I thought all UK versions of the C720 were the 2Gb RAM variants, if anything I would've thought that would be the main limitations, especially for Java development?

Associate
Not sure about the i3 version, but I thought all UK versions of the C720 were the 2Gb RAM variants, if anything I would've thought that would be the main limitations, especially for Java development?

I have a Asus T100 tablet/Netbook (Z3770 baytrail CPU with 2GB RAM) that I am happy doing .NET development in Visual Studios Express on...I would hope/expect similar performance.

There is meant to be a 4GB i3 version (according to Google)

Associate
@Colombo and others

From DigiTimes, a Taiwanese supplier publication the other day supporting your comments:
¨Acer has seen booming sales of Chromebooks, including government procurement orders for educational purposes in many countries, and therefore has asked supply chains to increase production to reduce supply shortages, according to company CEO Jason Chen, adding that global Chromebook shipments in 2014 are expected to increase 70% on year.¨

If Microsoft is not worried about Windows on laptops, they should be! We pioneers are on to this one way ahead of the average person. Trend clearly developing.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140725PD210.html

Soldato
@Colombo and others

From DigiTimes, a Taiwanese supplier publication the other day supporting your comments:
¨Acer has seen booming sales of Chromebooks, including government procurement orders for educational purposes in many countries, and therefore has asked supply chains to increase production to reduce supply shortages, according to company CEO Jason Chen, adding that global Chromebook shipments in 2014 are expected to increase 70% on year.¨

If Microsoft is not worried about Windows on laptops, they should be! We pioneers are on to this one way ahead of the average person. Trend clearly developing.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140725PD210.html

Well that doesn't surprise me to be honest although there are still a few huge functional gaps in the OS, once Google address these it will be a fast mover.

Soldato
Is there a quick way to turn the screen off while keeping the Chromebook on? I have it just playing music so don't need the screen on all the time, I found you can manually turn the brightness down until its off but wondering if there is a quick key to do this?

Associate
I've just seen the Acer 720 that has an Intel processor and I am wondering whether it will be any better....can anyone comment? Will I be able to install something like linux mint and just go - or am I going to have issues/there are some unsolved problems? Will I still have to have both operating systems running at once or can I choose on boot?

Also - what is the fan like? I HATE noise, which is part of the reason I loved the Samsung Chromebook (it was completely passive)...are these Acer ones noisy?

Definitely 2GB and an intel chipset:

Screenshot2014-08-03at083424_zps42522e3a.png

Cooling is passive, so silent. No idea about dual boot/linux installs, though....

Associate
I keep looking at Chromebooks. I looked at the HP Chromebook 11 but think I would prefer the extra 3" screen so now looking at the Chromebook 14.
How are people getting on with theirs?
Can you plug in a standard mouse?
If it wasn't for gaming my desktop PC would be a glorified Chrome browser.

Last edited:

k3v

k3v

Associate
Ive just got a Toshiba chromebook 2, its my first chromebook and ive got to say I quite like it.. the screen is nice and it boots really quickly, seems spot on for the money.

Soldato
I keep looking at Chromebooks. I looked at the HP Chromebook 11 but think I would prefer the extra 3" screen so now looking at the Chromebook 14.
How are people getting on with theirs?
Can you plug in a standard mouse?
If it wasn't for gaming my desktop PC would be a glorified Chrome browser.

Hi

I got the HP Chromebook 14 the first day it was released in the uk and it been great so far:) you can use a standard mouse yes i even tried a Microsoft HD webcam it it worked fine too.

I don't really have anything bad to say about it for web browsing /videos its more than good enough for the job.

Associate
Apparently in the US, Google has been highly successful in the education market, levels Kindergarten to 12th Grade (17-18 year old students), where Chromebooks have taken the market by storm. According to recent articles, Chromebooks are the most successful laptop in US education markets, outselling tablets and any other laptops by a considerable margin. This is quite a clever strategy as today's students are tomorrow's business leaders. Google is playing a long game here and it should be quite successful over time. Administrators at schools appreciate the low price but another key selling point is the lack of tech support needed---Google simply updates everything over the air and the maintenance on Chromebooks is quite little.

Anyone seen stats on the UK education market for Chromebooks yet?

Back
Top Bottom