Chromebooks

Associate
I'm considering getting one for my folks as their 10 y/o Dell with Vista is basically dead
From what I've read they seem ok for basic stuff so long as you don't have gaming expectations

But, like you, I would like someone's feedback based on actual experience...I can't believe no-one's got one

Associate
I have one, for light users that mostly use the web or for a locked down laptop that kids to use I think they are really good. Now a lot of the newer models can run Android apps, it opens up a lot of things you can do with them.

Soldato
I use an older Chromebox that doesn't support Android apps every so often, and it's great for what I use it for. Google Drive, Chrome browsing and YouTube for media.
It's quick to boot to login, updates in the background with no user interference, and "just works".

As long as your kids never needed to go past using Google's office package, Youtube, Spotify, etc, then it'll be great.
The problems will start if they want to use iTunes, or run Minecraft, or whatever else kids do these days. :D
I've never had to touch the printing side of it, so you'll maybe run in to issues there.

Make sure to be looking for Chromebooks with 4gb, I hear tabbed browsing suffers a bit on the lower memory machines.

Caporegime
ChromeOS is fine if you are Google-centric (or at least web-app centric). You'll still find some sites that want to stream using Silverlight, but this is just a case of waiting for the sites to sort that out and go with a standards-based approach.

Skype would need to be the web version or an Android app, or use Hangouts instead. Check for printer compatibility as well so you don't get caught out.

Permabanned
Are they any good Vs cheap desktop build just for kids homework etc?

Chromebooks have been sweeping up the education market at schools, esp in the US where I read recently that 58% of schools (Kindegarten to age 18) now use Chromebooks rather than any desktop, Microsoft or Apple solution.

Reason: inexpensive, cloud based so very powerful with internet connection, newer Chromebooks have access to both the Google Chrome App Store and now Google Android Play Store which has millions of apps, low maintenance and hence low cost of ownership, easy to replace without any loss of data (esp important for children) and linked now to powerful other Google hardware including Chromecast for casting video and photos, etc. Also many tasks can be performed offline and saved until an internet connection is established.

I have been using Chromebooks for more than 6 years and this is my second Chrombook. The latest models now include foldable features to turn the Chrombook laptop into a tablet too.

If mobility is necessary or desirable for the children's use, then a desktop is not the solution. I also use a Cloud Printer which works fine.

This new Acer Chromebook seems ideal for most students:

https://9to5google.com/2017/05/03/r...-rugged-affordable-laptop-for-students-video/

Last edited:
Associate
I'm onto my second one now, a Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015)... echo a lot of what @sesevans says. It's my 50/50 go-to machine for pretty much everything that's not STEAM, although I'm

Also what @Caged said about printing holds true to a degree, to the extent that Canon have actually "updated" one of their Google Cloud Print/AirPrint compatible printers to remove GCP, meaning it stopped working with any Chromebook. Canon seem to have form for this, and the friend that had this printer had to replace with a newer model where they hadn't patched GCP out.

Soldato
OP
We ended up getting a hp 14" Chromebook.
Very pleased with it, starts fast, no visible updates to slow down light in etc

For web stuff it's perfect.

Back
Top Bottom